FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nitrate to high

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nitrate to high
    Posted: November 11 2008 at 4:43pm
So in my 55 i have always had a higher nitrate count between 10-20 but over the last month or so it hase been much high, as high as 40.  Everything seems to be doing okay but looking to try and get it under control, anyone have any ideas of what to do.  Currently this take runs a small hang on back refugium, and a hang on back filter which i run carbon and phosphate reducers in on one side and the other side is just a sponge.  No sump or skimmer, and i prefer to keep this tank that way if possible.  I have about 50lbs of LR and about 3-4 inch sand bed. i have a pair of maroon clowns and a yellow tang, also have GBTA and several simple corals, mushrooms, pylops, pompom, xenia and the such.  Any ideas would be helpful, Thanks
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 5:13pm
I find this to be very helpful:

http://melevsreef.com/reducing_nitrates.html

Good luck!
210 gallon Mixed Reef
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 5:16pm
If your sand bed is that deep and you have high nitrate, I would guess it is not fine sand.
I suggest cleaning your mechanical filters daily and slowing down feeding. Add some macro to the display.
With added money and changes- A skimmer would help a lot. A sump refugium would help a lot.
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 6:50pm
Without a skimmer, I would increase the depth of the sand-bed in your refugium (if possible).  Other then that I would do bigger water changes more often.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 9:17pm
I agree with Madreefer and Jake.

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic