Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank top-off system ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tank top-off system ideas?
    Posted: November 13 2008 at 10:45am

I'm looking for some suggestions and ideas for how to install an auto-fill or top-off system for my 90g tank.  It's essentially built-in with walls on 3 sides and does NOT have a sump

The float valves I've seen all need a hole drilled - which I'm not going to do.  Are there any versions made to mount on the rim of a tank?

I would prefer not to just have a valve to turn on and off as I hear way too many flood stories with "I forgot it was on" being the culprit.  It woudl be OK for the breif top-off, but I would prefer something automated.

Thanks in advance.
TNaisbitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNaisbitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 11:06am
You could use an aqualifter pump (or something similar) to pump from a container of limited size that would hold water for a day or two.  You would just have to run a small water line to top of the tank somewhere.  The pump could be on a light timer and setup to run just long enough each day to replace your evaporated water.  You would still have to refil the tub (either by a float valve from an RO/DI, or manually), but it would probably be less often than you are doing now.  Again, it relies on a timer that could possibly fail, but if the container is sized correctly a timer that failed in the "on" position would only add as much water into your system as it could handle without overflowing. 

There are also some commercially available auto-top off systems that you could use instead.  I've seen some at Marine Depot.com, but they are rather expensive and also rely on some sort of float valve to operate.

IMHO, without a sump or without using float valves of some kind, I think you are kind of limited on options. 

Hope this helps.

Edited by TNaisbitt - November 13 2008 at 11:08am
"Water which is too pure has no fish."

90 Gal Reef, 12Gal Nano Reef
West Jordan, UT
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 11:17am
I'm OK with using a float valve that doesn't require me drilling my tank.
pickensw View Drop Down
IMAS Friend
IMAS Friend

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pickensw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 12:13pm
If a snail gets on the float valve and keeps it from floating it will keep filling until the snail moves on or no more water for the top off.

Here is a double controller switch for a tank. I have the sump version. $55

Will
All things can be cured by salt water, whether by sweat, tears or going to sea.

~Isak Dinesen
snoyce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snoyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 12:19pm

aquahub has some float valve systems that use a holder that you mold to your tank, no drilling, I think you are pretty safe with any system that uses 2 floats, they start at 39 but you also need a pump like the aqualifter

http://www.aquahub.com/store/autotopoffcomp.html

jonafriendj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 1:38pm
Here is something I came up with a while back, might not be what you have in mind, but it worked for me =) http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23156&KW=float
Pleasant Grove
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic