Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NOOO *pics added*

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NOOO *pics added*
    Posted: November 17 2008 at 9:14pm
Since I had a long conversation with Mark months ago I haven't had a single thing go wrong with my tank.. I pretty much pulled out the phosban, dropped water changes to once a month and let things be and WOW things were going amazing!

Sooo, did a 10 gallon water change this weekend (r/o di and reef crystals) and within 24 hours all of my softies are dead... zoos, leather, xenia and my Kenya trees are following suit.  UUUUUUGUHGAngry  I hadn't done a water change in 5 weeks and figured it was due.

My hard corals are all doing great, anemone are good, fish are good, no inverts are dying.. just softies.  I can't win and honestly, I'm about to throw in the towel.  You can read my blog, I've had nothing but bad luck with a tank.  I thought things would be smooth sailing after months of serenity and it all comes crashing down.

No responses necessary, I'm venting, not to mention, I don't think it can be fixed Cry

Edited by Kynneke - November 19 2008 at 8:26am
jonafriendj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2008 at 9:34pm
Sorry to hear that Cry
Pleasant Grove
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2008 at 9:51pm
Start running some carbon in there to help clear out all the stuff the dying things are letting out.  And if you need some more softies let me know and I can help you out.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2008 at 10:18pm
I'm sorry to hear that. Have you tested the water? I wonder what could have happened to only affect the softies and not the stonies. Were the softies in direct contact with the new water first?

Mike

Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2008 at 10:57pm
I've heard and read that some tanks seem to develop an "immunity" to certain types of corals. 

I wonder if something irritated them. 

No worries- I bet you could find all of the softies you lost pretty easily.  I'm sure there are people with frags of kenya tree, and zoanthids aren't hard to come by.  Hope this helps- you're not alone in feeling the "tank blues".  I just had a rabbitfish nearly decimate all my zoanthids.  I swear he was the easiest fish to catch ever, but it might of been my overall distaste for him that was fueling my ability to catch him. 
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2008 at 11:46pm
I'm sorry to hear that.  Keep us posted and good luck,

DebBig smile
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 12:44am
that is weird. Usually when something goes wrong the sps are the first to kick the bucket and quick.

on another note though. reef crystals and I/O are known to have extremely high PHs when mixed up. How long did you mix it before you put it in?

also i'm guessing this is on your 110 gallon tank? unless there was some chemical in the bucket you mixed in I couldnt imagine 10 gallons of fresh mixed saltwater changing much of anything. there has to be some other underlying issue that would cause this
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 6:23am
I always run carbon, mixed the r/o di for 24 hours in the same bucket I've always used.  I do the water change in the sump so it's mixed pretty well, I have softies dying at each end of my tank.  Yes it's the 110, I don't have anything but a CC Star and Decorator crab in my 29 gallon atm. 

I've been reading up on the Vitamin C just for fun, Zoo's and I have never gotten along very well and figured it'd be worth a shot.  I did notice this morning that my Paly's seem to be ok so it's all very weird.

It's just SO frustrating ya know? 
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 10:47am
That freakin' sucks!  I'm sorry.

If you need some more softies - let me know.  I know I have pink pulsing sinularia that I could frag.
Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 11:17am
I'm feeling a tad better this morning.  The pulsing xenia are my "I need a moment to myself to stare at something that's not fighting with her sister" moment.  To see them shrivel was awful.  I noticed my mushrooms aren't dying either... so just xenia, zoo and kenya.  Thanks so much Sukie, once things calm down I'll see how much I've lost and decide a new plan of action.
Nano_Reefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nano_Reefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 11:20am
You sure they all died? Could they just be closed up due to some irratation? I can not imagine them all dying in that little of time with a simple water change, unless like mentioned above, some foriegn chemical was in the salt or the ro water. You might want to look at those two. Have you used salt out of that batch before?
Just my thoughts, hope everything works out.
larhalli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larhalli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 11:35am
I have had a similar problem in the past.  Water changes and carbon helped.  What I find interesting about softies is that or at least I should say in my tanks they seem to throw off an occasional snotty like slime that would cover the surface of my tanks.  I would always have to skim this off.  I always wondered if there was something else going on like toxin warfare amongst my corals.  I just found that corals are like people and that there are some things that work well together and some things that don't.  I may also have some things to get you going again and help to replace your lose.
Larry Halliday

West Jordan
Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 12:39pm
They aren't really pouting, more like turning into grey stone =/  Nothing's been put new into my tank (fish, coral or invert) for almost 3 months.  I have used this salt before and did a water change on the 29 gallon with the same water, course, no corals are in that tank.
Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 7:13pm
See if this helps.  You can go to my blog if you want to see pictures of the healthy things in the tank, the latest blog and these pictures were taken at the same time.

hrm.. I can't get pictures to upload.  I put the sick corals at the top of my blog and the healthy right below it.

http://saltwaterblog.blogspot.com
Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 8:31am
Ok, the upload is working this morning.

My GSP is usually fuller than this, only about half are opening.

Kenya's are dying off

Leather looks the worst, the bottom is decaying and the tips are folding in on themselves.

These used to be about 4 times this size and a much lighter pink.

I have a weird brown growth on my rics and paly's though they aren't showing signs of a problem.

These Xenia have hard trunks and used to stand up about 6".

This is the only Xenia that's still standing though it's about half the size it was.

Blog still shows the healthy coral from the same night if you want a comparison.
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 9:55am

Just by looking at the pics a few things come to mind, I would guess its either PH shock or Salt burn from the salt not being completely mixed or a low salinity mix. This is just a guess but i am willing to bet its one of these.

Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 6:07pm
I mixed the salt for 24 hours... my ph test is awol but I'll go buy another, thanks!  That gives me somewhere to start.
Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 6:18pm
Sucks
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

drysea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drysea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 8:36pm
Before I had a pH test I used to use my red sea xenia as a pH indicator. If that stuff looked good I was good if is was hurting then my pH was off.
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 8:43pm
That is terrible. Sorry to see this.
210 gallon Mixed Reef
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic