Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Support the LFS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Support the LFS
    Posted: November 19 2008 at 9:54am
In regard to Crystal's post about Tank of the month and LFS of the month (Candidate Challenge #6)...ClapClapClap

Great minds think alike...Crystal suggested a tour of the LFS.  I've done that with the presidency in the past.  It was awesome!  We went from Ogden area to Provo area in one LONG LFS tour.  Further, we made sure that someone in the presidency bought something at EVERY store.  It did wonders in fostering good relations with the stores.

I think it would be cool to expand it to a "support the LFS day".  On this day, every club member is encouraged to go visit LFS's in their area (introduce yourself to the owner) and buy something from at least one of them.  A letter could be mailed to the stores.  The presidency could do the "Road Trip" on that day.  Frequent reminders to the club would be key...I don't know...just an idea off the top of my head.

p.s.  I posted this here, because I didn't want to break my rule about replying in the candidate challenge questions.  Now people can add add their two cents worth on this topic.  Also, I know the presidency (even the new one coming in)  will address all suggestions here.

===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 9:58am
Can I share my thoughts on this, or would that sound like campaigning?
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 10:01am
Go ahead...Share your thoughts.   I think as people share their thoughts on this idea, it can evolve into a plausible suggestion.

Edited by Summertop - November 19 2008 at 10:02am
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 10:15am
How would this be for a Saturday event???
(stolen from my buddy Jeff who runs the Connecticut club, I was going to suggest this for next years presidency)

Saturday Pizza and Poker Reef Geek Style
We have a big saturday store appreciation day. 
Presidency members spend the day sitting at our local stores.  We just hang out there all day.  Pres members hand out envelopes to any club member who comes in to the store and spends money.  For every $20 you spend we give you an envelope that has a playing-card in it.  Limit 3 per store. 
Club members drive around all day shopping at local stores, and collecting playing-cards. 
That evening we all meet somewhere for a pizza party.  You get out your cards and form the best 5 card playing hand (like 5 card stud).  You may have two cards, or you may have collected 15 cards, pick your 5 best.  We see who has the best hand, they get the grand prize, we see who has the second best hand, they get the next prize.  What are the prizes... well we'll see what we can do.
The club gives away prizes and the more cards you have (meaning the more you supported the stores that day) the better chances you have of getting a full house and not just a pair of 3's.  Then again, spend $20 and you just may get a pair of Aces and win a big prize.

Was super successful in CT last year.  I followed the progression of that meeting because I was really interested to see what would happen.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 10:27am
<---- loves poker
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 10:36am
That is a great idea Adam...I'm all in!LOL

DebBig smile
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 10:57am

I'll raise you on that and go all in!

Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 11:15am
we could do some online tournaments on pokerstars.net. I play on there, but honestly i'm not very good in person because I can never remember what to do next
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 4:52pm
<---- loves LFS

tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 7:18pm
 <-------Loves it all!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Idea
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 7:28pm
<-----wants to skip the poker and just get prizes.
dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dew2loud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 8:32pm
<----- wants to know where the heck I'm going to put all the corals and fish I'll buy during the day
<---Oh yeah loves pizza!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2008 at 6:10pm

<----Wants to know where you buy your cards for doing this so I can get a extra pack so I can win the big prize.

griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2008 at 11:52pm
fun idea Thumbs Up

Linn
Bluespotjawfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluespotjawfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2008 at 9:22pm
What about spotlighting a one or two lfs each month (like we do tank of the month).  That store could stock up before the big day and we could still have a party in a single place! 

Home of the baby Picasso!
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2008 at 1:49am
Originally posted by Bluespotjawfish Bluespotjawfish wrote:

What about spotlighting a one or two lfs each month (like we do tank of the month).  That store could stock up before the big day and we could still have a party in a single place! 

I totally agree and would be willing to help head this up.

DebBig smile
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
bannshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2008 at 2:49am
Originally posted by Bluespotjawfish Bluespotjawfish wrote:

This is a great idea. I believe Jerry suggested this as part of his response to canidate challange #3

Originally posted by EagleEyez5 EagleEyez5 wrote:

How do you see the relationships between the club and the local fish stores?

I believe that Shane has done a great job with the PR. I remember a meeting a few months ago....ok quite a few months ago.....that a store owner brought in some pumps and sold them at a very good price. I think that of the entire case he only took one or two back to his store. Things like this prove the great relationship that Shane has built with the LFS.

What (how) do you plan to change it?

One thing that I would like to see is a Store of the Month...per say....
I would like to take the time to go to a store every month, and spotlight that store for its participation in this great club. Often we get stuck in the trap of ME ME ME....I feel that we can reach a new platform with the stores by seeing what 'we as a club' can do for them. If we show our support, they will in turn show theirs. Having talked to most of the LFS owners, I have seen that they do appreciate the club, and they are very passionate about the hobby. For most, it is not just a job, it is a hobby that turned into a business. United we will all have nicer tanks...and isn't that the point anyway....
Bluespotjawfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluespotjawfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2008 at 1:16pm
Obviously I don't read the political threads! 
Home of the baby Picasso!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic