Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need advise-convert 20 gal or buy existing tank
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need advise-convert 20 gal or buy existing tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need advise-convert 20 gal or buy existing tank
    Posted: November 22 2008 at 9:07am
Hi,

I really need some advise from you experienced folks.  I am old lady in Tooele and have always dreamed of having one of those beautiful saltwater aquariums.  I have a 20 gal freshwater tank that is in good shape, currently has goldfish in it.  Would it be better for me to convert this tank into a saltwater or buy an existing saltwater tank?  I don't think I could handle anything larger than a 40 gal. 

if you think I should buy a setup, do you know anyone who might have one for sale?  I don't have much money but do have a very nice Sony DCR-TRV460 camcorder with tripod that I could trade.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks, Gail
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2008 at 9:18am
Welcome gail!

You can go either way. Your 20 gallon can be changed over to salt water or you can buy a different set up. I did great with a Red Sea Max 34 gallon and have it for sale here:

You should read up and determine what you want to keep. Will the tank be fish only or will you keep corals too? This will help determine what type of lighting you will need.

Mike

gail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2008 at 9:25am
I would like some small corals, I know I will only be able to have 1 0r 2 fish.  My hood has the florescent tube.  Could I use it and just buy a better bulb?
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2008 at 9:31am
Gail!  Glad to see you made it to the forum (im the guy that was emailing you)  Good luck with everything.  Looking on the specs on that camera a nice nano could be traded so keep your fingers crossed!  There are some really smart people on this forum and I am sure they will be able to help you with everything.  Just read, and take there advice.  And dont give up.  
90 Gallon Reef w/4 bulb 54W t5

I buy, sell and restore pinball machines. Got one in the basement? ;)
gail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2008 at 9:38am
Thank you so much for telling me about this forum, I really do need all of the help I can get.  it really is a nice camera not one of the cheapies.  Thank you again and thank you for being so nice to me.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2008 at 12:57pm
Welcome Gail. Let us know any and all questions you may have. I have sand and some starter corals I would be happy to give you if you dont get a complete set up.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2008 at 2:13pm
I have a complete 12g nano with corals and fish I am selling...

Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

gail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2008 at 6:04pm
I did it, I traded the camera for a 24 gal nano.  It has live sand and live rock, 2 tetras, yellow head goby, pearl angel, and a long brown fish.  red mushroom, small orange coral, 2 crabs, 2 sea cucumbers and a snail.  I got all of the supples, food and test kits also.  I is really beautiful and looks nice in my dinning room.  I just got the fish in and am going to let them adjust before I do much else.  I would like to add some feather worms and more coral, I don't know how long I will need to wait.  I'm sure I will have lots of questions.  Thank you for you help.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2008 at 6:29pm
In my opinion, the best thing you could do is to ask here for people that live in Tooele and go see their tanks and ask them to come see yours to help you avoid making costly mistakes. We are a group of very helpful people that love to share this fascinating hobb. Have funBig smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
john hill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2008 at 6:34pm
that is great keep use posted on how you are doing
out with the large and in with the nano
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2008 at 6:57pm
Oh Gail!!! I am soooo happy for you!  If you need ANY help let us know.  The smaller tanks are fun (I got your same size!) but problems happen quicker with less water volume.  The name of the game is staying on top of things.  But once you got it down it is pretty easy most of the time.  Do as much reading as you can stand and stick around here everyone is so much help!  I am so dang happy for you!
90 Gallon Reef w/4 bulb 54W t5

I buy, sell and restore pinball machines. Got one in the basement? ;)
gail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2008 at 8:24am
Thank you so much for such  a warm welcome to your group and hobby.  This tank is soooo fun, all I want to do is sit and watch it.  I now have a lot of sediment on the rocks, will it kill the algea and the little coral?  Should I try to get it off?  Thank you again, I am so happy to have you wonderful people in my corner.   
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2008 at 8:38am
Congratulations Gail!

I would let everything get settled for the next month. Test the water and get a feel for things. See how the tank acts. What is the normal temperature swing, how do the fish act, are the corals looking healthy etc. Then when you add new things you can tell if things are stressed.

Mike

Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2008 at 10:45am
Welcome Gail and congratulations on your new tank.  We are in West Valley almost Magna so if you are ever in the area you are more than welcome to stop by and see our tanks  (we have 7) and talk salt water.  I agree with everyone, please ask questions if you have any.  We also have some starter corals you can have when your tank is ready.

DebBig smile
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
gail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2008 at 12:33pm
Deb, I would love to see your tanks.  Thank you so much for the coral offer, I will diffinately tank you up on that.  Please send me a PM with your phone number and I will call you.  Thanks bunches, Gail
tazman1982 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2008 at 1:29pm
defantly a waiting game. dont go too fast or it "can" kill everything.
75 Reef
55 Reef

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic