Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ideas For Next Year

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by frednwilma1999 frednwilma1999 wrote:

You have really got some great ideas. It will be really good to see you at the January meeting.  I'm glad you be able to make it.  Does this mean you will be able to start coming to all of them?Wink

DebBig smile 

Right now the only reason I don't get to the meetings is work. I work nights Ouch Ironically, I work only 10 minutes away from the meeting place... I will certainly try to make it to every other meeting in 2009 for sure; if I can get my work schedule rearranged (about a 50 - 50 chance of that right now) then I will be able to attend every meeting...

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 5:51pm

That would be great Carslo63 if you could come.  It was fun to take a trip out to get rock and sand with you. 

Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by cl2ysta1 cl2ysta1 wrote:

wow bob!!!!! you really summed it up. I'm planning on getting our southern people involved in the reef club. Many people down south just dont know about it. ... < edit > There are also a ton of reef tanks in southern utah believe it or not and I think we should be able to get a southern utah reef tour together which maybe you all can carpool to like you do the idaho tour. You'd be suprised what we can grow in the desert ;)

Crystal -

Believe it or not we are in a similar situation here in Utah County, as far as having many hobbyists who still don't know about WMAS... we (Ut Co.) also end up underrepresented on things like the Reef Tour - last year I was the only stop on the Tour for Utah Co... And I mean it's not like we are hundreds of miles away like you (no offense); we've got Aquatica  and Reef Runners and Wheres Nemo and Jays Jungle that all deal heavily in SW stuff - plus the usual assortment of Petco's and Petsmarts - so the "demand" for the hobby is obviously alive and well in Utah County...

I'm not sure exactly how to go about getting Utah County to "represent" but I believe that it should be a goal for the Club to improve our presence in Ut Co. for 2009...

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

2) An organized outing down South to show Mark, Kyle & Crystal, etc. some "WMAS love"...
    (if they'll have us LOL)
Hopefully gas will still be a buck-fifty and then it won't be such a big expense. Carpool and the passengers split the gas tab...If you take 3 -4 people per vehicle (plus the driver) the gas cost for each person should be only $10 - $15 round-trip, unless you are 'Hummerpooling'... we stop and get breakfast going in, lunch on the way home...
ROAD TRIP!!!!

Corey and I did this but when it came down to it nobody else was able to make it.

Jeremy (Banshy) and I also visited Utah county Reef Tour hosts after normal hours and had a great time, but again, nobody else was able to make it though the invitation was open.

Mike

I remember that Mike, trust me! LOL  Because (if you remember) You & Jeremy were the only visitors I got that time on the Tour (oh, and Steve "the Butler" sent his wife, too)

Maybe if we do it again a little more planned out (like maybe pick a month, put it on the "Upcoming Events" tab as "Southern Reef Tour" a couple of months ahead of time, post a sign up thread maybe 45 days prior, etc) maybe we'd get a bigger response? Maybe Crystal ties it in with a Tour of her local LFS..?

Plus (of course) keep our fingers crossed gas stays cheap Clap...

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Mrs Viper Mrs Viper wrote:

When we first joined, that was a suggestion we made about doing introductions so we could know who it was we had been talking with on the board.  Place names with faces.  We still believe that is a great idea and for new comers to introduce themselves, then have a member introduce them around to others.  That way people would feel more welcome.

Exactly. As long as the newcomer is willing to stand up and introduce themselves for a minute or 2. Which they should be willing to do. If the aren't, then they should complain later that "nobody came up to me..."

Newbies, don't "chicken out"...take the first step! Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 6:11pm

As of now I have a natural gas surbabn.  It get 18 miles to the gallon, but it hols 8 and is only 79 cents a gallon to fill up.  It would be cheap to go down.

Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 6:16pm

Bob, I came and saw you for the reef tour this year.  It really isn't that far.  We actually started at Adam's and ended at your house.  I wish we would've had 8 more hours that day that though.

DebBig smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 6:19pm

My GF ended up liking Bobs the best out of all the ones we saw.

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by sukie sukie wrote:

NO MORE EXCUSES PPL!!

I think that should be the "slogan" for 2009 LOL

- Don't come to a meeting, hide in a corner, never speak to anyone, then complain "no one made me feel 'welcome'..."

- Don't decline to participate in the Reef Tour and then complain "how few houses there are this year..."

- Don't decline to participate in any event and then complain "how it wasn't done right..."

- If you are going to complain, be tactful - and try to suggest a solution or better idea along with the gripe

- If you are gonna post up big, long lists of ideas then you better be prepared to get involved implementing some of those ideas...

(Ooops, that last one sounds like me Embarrassed Well, don't worry, I promise I'll help out and not just blabber on the whole of 2009...Wink)

Edited by carlso63 - December 04 2008 at 6:36pm

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by frednwilma1999 frednwilma1999 wrote:

Bob, I came and saw you for the reef tour this year.  It really isn't that far.  We actually started at Adam's and ended at your house.  I wish we would've had 8 more hours that day that though.

DebBig smile

Debbie - Of course I remember you and Jeff coming over! Clap

Matt - I am glad she liked it - it's even better now Big smile

Interesting to note that although I had the highest amount of Tour visitors of all the homes on the Tour in 2008, you three were the only SL County WMAS Members that came by me - the only ones... and Deb is the only Presidency member who has ever come by that I am aware of.

Other than Mike, who did the pre-tour photo shoot the day before the Tour...

P.S. - Hey Mike!  What happened to all those pictures ??!! WinkLOL

Edited by carlso63 - December 04 2008 at 6:35pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 6:47pm

Carso63 I'll have to come and check it out again.

tazman1982 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 7:14pm
I loved your tank carlso63. and it realy isnt that far out of the way.
I have been from "BFE" (brigham city) twice and spanish fork and all in between for tank stuff already!
take an hour from your day and enjoy seeing others tanks. although most make mine feel inferior... but I am working on that. Getting better every day.
75 Reef
55 Reef

Bluespotjawfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluespotjawfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2008 at 8:51am
Mugshot Thread - Helps newbies know who everyone is, and helps the rest of us know who they are.  Maybe even have a mugshot drawing (put your pic on the thread and you are entered in a drawing).

Group rates for an overnight stay!  If I go to a meeting down south, I'd probably prefer to stay the night and make a nice weekend out of it.  

Home of the baby Picasso!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2008 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by carlso63 carlso63 wrote:

P.S. - Hey Mike!  What happened to all those pictures ??!! WinkLOL

I've got them.

Mike

DeepFriedOprah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepFriedOprah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2008 at 11:06pm

Ideas: (some may have already been mentioned before)

2) Short "introduction" period at start of meeting where President (or someone on the Council) asks if there are any first-timers at the meeting, hands raise, each person gives a brief intro of themselves, everybody says "Hi _____!" like a chorus, so the newbies feel all warm & fuzzy inside... I will be attending my first meeting ever in January Clap so you can all practice on me Wink...

Bob:
" Hi my name is Bob, and I'm a reefaholic"
Crowd:
"HELLO BOB"

That reminds me of other meetings I have attended (court ordered of course).LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
"So, Just right in half? I have a very large one, Like 4" that I would like to frag, as well as a few smaller ones"
Cameron
Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2008 at 11:15pm
I was thinking the same thing Jason...LMFAO!
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2008 at 6:11pm

if I can get my work schedule rearranged (about a 50 - 50 chance of that right now) then I will be able to attend every meeting...

"Come into my office Bob. You and I need to have a little talk about priorities." Wink
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic