Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Energy saving Day Lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
3clr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3clr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Energy saving Day Lights
    Posted: January 19 2009 at 5:20pm
I have a ~120G tank (6x2x2) with fish and corals with Metal Halides (HQI) lights. Thou I'm in the hobby for more than a year, I have no idea about bells and whistles of aquarium.

The question is, can I use the "energy saving day light" bulbs (6500K - spiral type) that you get in homedepot or costco for my tank? Also, how about the "energy saving florescent lights" (PAR 30 type), at homedepot?

The reason is to save energy and hence save cost. Also, those bulbs are very easy and simple  to mount (no blasts) and less expensive to buy compared to Metal Halides, etc.,

Thanks in advance for your advice.

TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2009 at 5:34pm
My first question would be what are you, specifically, keeping in the tank?

Edited by Camarofish - January 19 2009 at 5:34pm
210 gallon Mixed Reef
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2009 at 5:43pm
For a fish only tank it would work great. For corals...not so good.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
shakin06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakin06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2009 at 8:55am
6x2x2 is a 180 i think not a 120
72 Bow ASM G2 Oceanic1 mag 9.5
TEK 8 bulb T5HO
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2009 at 9:03am
Your right Steve. I didn't catch that. A 120 is typically 4x2x2.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2009 at 9:33am
Those twist PC bulbs save no more energy per lumen (amount of light) than the standard PC bulbs that you probably have right now giving supplemental actinic/blue light to that tank. And it would take a ton of them to do the job that you are getting from the MH.
Yes, MH does use a lot of electricity, but no other lighting can simulate the brilliance of the sun or give that shimmer. VHO and T5HO lighting grow colorful coral but it takes a large bank of them to provide the same lumens as MH.
If you truely want to conserve energy and really want to save money, place the tank in a window where it gets direct sunlight. Sunlight gives an even better shimmer than MH and is absolutely free.Smile
Below is a pic of our sunlit reef before the Tangs gobbled up all the Caulerpa. The sun grows algae extremely well, so lots of herbivores are needed. There may also be a pic of another of my sunlit tanks in this thread. http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2009 at 10:54am
Spiral compacts don't put out as many lumens/watt as MH or straight fluorescents. T8 would be a cheap method since bulbs and fixtures are cheap and lumens/watt is relatively high. Many corals will not be happy with this light however. You could use T12 but initial setup and operation costs will be higher (but corals will be happier). Plus VHO is vastly superior to any other form of reef lighting.

Although cost of a new setup would pay for a lot of use of your current MH setup.

If possible, use sunlight like Mark says. His sunlit reef was amazing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic