Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glass or Acrylic?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jbruse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbruse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glass or Acrylic?
    Posted: March 16 2003 at 9:56am

I am planning to build an aquarium about 100 gal and wanted to know what is easier and less expensive to work with glass or acrylic??  This tank would probably be about 18” height 24” width and 78” length.  I would like to build this for as inexpensive as possible!  And last does any one have suggestions where to purchase the matirial for this project?   Thanks in advance for all your comments.

-=J=-

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2003 at 11:24am

I look forward to some of the responses this thread might generate.  I too have this itch to build my own tank...had it off and on for 10 - 15 yrs.  Never gone past the thinking phase though.

The price of the glass will most likely be very high (A few years back I priced a 2' X 6" 1/2" pane of glass at just over $200).  I'm not sure where the cheapest place to buy sheet acrylic is.  I've bought glue and tubing from Delvie's Plastics, but I'd guess full sheets could be had cheaper elsewhere.  If you decide to use acrylic, I'd suggest you start out by building a sump (you'll most likely want one anyway).  Get a feel for it, work on getting bubbleless seams.  Then move to the main tank.

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2003 at 3:46pm

The cost will be very close especially in a tank this size.  I would recommend using acrylic as it is easier to work with when doing custom aquariums.

You may find it is cheaper to buy a tank then build one.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2003 at 5:10pm

Though I am an avid do-it-yourselfer, I agree with Jake. A store bought tank is not much more expensive, has a guarantee and looks much better than any home built tank I have ever seen. Though the cheapest price is usually found in the newspaper classified section.

Those aquariums with the black plastic corner pieces for the overflow are the best engineered tanks in my opinion. The nest time I buy a large tank, that is the kind I want. And glass because it does not scratch as easily.

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2003 at 5:52pm
Quote: Originally posted by Jake Pehrson on 17 March 2003

You may find it is cheaper to buy a tank then build one.

That is what's kept me from diving into the diy tank mode .  I don't know if I would attempt a big (over 150 gal) tank on my own, and smaller tanks (under 150 gal) are just too cheap.  I'll definately build my own sump though.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2003 at 8:37pm

Just buy mine

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=4&TopicID=289&PagePosition=1

It's totally custom (won't find one like it in the store).  It won't scratch that DIY itch, but you won't have to learn how to install a new sub-floor either

Jeff Hite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Hite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2003 at 10:29pm
Hahaha yeah Shane, I love that tank, but don't have the dough to throw that way.  They did do a good job on the glass.  I never have seen a custom glass tank, just acrylic.  You could always bring it over and let me "borrow" it. hehe
Flaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2003 at 6:09pm

If you're going to have a reef tank then I'd go with glass.  No questions about it.  After having an acrylic tank I'll never get another one.  They are too darn easy to scratch!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic