Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Undergravel filter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Undergravel filter
    Posted: March 16 2003 at 2:05pm

I am seting up my 125 and with the tank I received an undergravel filter. I am not planning on using this filter howver  I am wondering if there is any advantage to leaving the plates at the bottom. Kind of like a plenum.

I am planning on a 4 inch sand bed. I am going to collect the first 2 inches from that site out by the lake. 

Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2003 at 7:55pm

Throw the UGF plates into the garbage. They are useless.

The advantage of Oolitic sand is that the sand bed does not need to be as deep! That way there is plenty of room for rock, coral and fish! If you can trust my experience, you will do just fine with 1.5 inches Oolitic and no more than one inch of Special Grade CaribSea.

I just set up another tank, my third, with Utah Oolitic. This is a ten gallon with one inch of freshly rinsed Oolitic and a half inch live CaribSea sand from two friends tanks. It's been four days and the glass is coated with green algae. This is even better than I anticipated. Most new setups have brown algae at this point and the green algae doesn't appear for another two weeks. Perhaps I also cheated by using about 75% old water and pieces of live rock from a friends established tank. Approximately 75%  of the sand is new Oolitic and 90% of the rock is clean Utah Aragonite.

The clam, acropora and other coral are doing well. I wouldn't normally put a clam in a new tank, but they were on sale at Bird World.

Mark        "Thinking outside the box"

ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2003 at 8:55pm

Mark are you going to collect any more of that oolitic sand? If so I would like to go out there with you.  you say only 1.5 inch of that sand is enough.  That certainly would save room in the tank. 

Just curious if anyone else has any feedback on this.

Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2003 at 9:42pm

I have about 10 gallons of it that I am looking to unload, but have no plans to collect more in the near future.

My work in the hobby is most always pushing the envelope so, unfortunately, you won't find many confirming opinions, just skeptics! People probably think I'm nuts and certainly opinionated, but some of my pioneering work has been the first in this area:

1995 - the plenum (and then to discard it)

1996 - the Reverse Daylight Photosynthesis Refugia

1997 - Mangroves in the RDP Refugia

1998 - an aquarium in direct sunlight;  bred & raised Tomato Clownfish

1999 - sponge/sea squirt/ Cryptic Zone Filtration

2001 - Surge Circulation ( I was a little late in trying this)

2002 - Utah Oolitic sand bed and Aragonite rock

Please forgive me for tooting my own horn here, but these are the facts.

Mark           "Thinking outside the box."

Rob Lemmon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Lemmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2003 at 8:17am

Mark,

Do you still have any of that sand?  If so I would be very interested in picking some up.    Forgive an uneducated fool, but, does the Oolitic sand have any silicates in it?

Thanks

Rob Lemmon
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2003 at 9:18am

Rob,

Sand still available. No silicates, just calcium carbonate (aragonite).

I can be reached at 296-1563 anytime.

Mark

jbruse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbruse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2003 at 11:35am
Rob I also have a bunch of this sand if you need any.  That gos for anyone wanting some Oolitic!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic