Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank Make Over...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
jamzdean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamzdean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2009 at 1:50pm
"plus maybe its just me but I like ideas from people but I like to be the one to do what I like and not just have "their tank" in my house!"

OK, well put.......  Now thats the best argument. 

tazman1982 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 12:39pm
Sometimes just having people in your home with knowledge and some good ideas is the best fix.  We all started as a newb (I am still one of them).  I am hoping that I can get a mentor/mentors that will help me with my tank setup and questions.  What better way to get members in a home to help out?

Just as an FYI. 95 % of the people on this board will gladly make some time to stop by and give you ANY advise you need. I being one of them.... Don't know all of it ( by any means) but have a pretty good understanding of the basics and a bit of the advanced stuff. and this site (people) gave me most of that knowladge. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

75 Reef
55 Reef

Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 2:14pm
Based on the comments made here and talking to a few.

I agree with the Club Presidency's decision NOT to do this.

Now, if any club member wants to take this on for themselves...I'll be there to help.
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 3:51pm

I agree, Ive never backed out of helping someone in trouble and will give as much info and hands on help that I can. Like Shawn, I'm in for personal help and I think its in the clubs best interest to keep it on a personal level.

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Megan&Jason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megan&Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2009 at 4:51pm
you can try it with mine i cant grow sps it all turns brown but i do have all the equipment here 

Red sea 650 and two 35g red sea

all for sale

Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2009 at 9:51am
I just wait till mine die...then spray paint them the color I want...

Just kidding. LOL

I suggest you post a thread asking for suggestions.  I think others might have more input than I can give you. 
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
DWAyotte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DWAyotte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2009 at 12:55pm
Just an idea after reading all the replies.  Possibly a happy medium?

What if the poll was held but instead of necessarily going to the winners house and avoiding all the potential issues, there just be a nice sticky featured thread where the tank owner can post pics and frustrations/issues they are having and we help them out specially.  this way if people wanted to donate time or whatever else, they have the option to and they can work with the tank owner as not to take away from the whole diy experience and learning.

I know lots of you are already willing to do this, so maybe this is just a way to maybe concentrate that willingness to a tank a month or until its resurrected.

Just an idea though.  I know a lot of this is already going on, but this way it would be featured and potentially get a lot more attention.

I think this thread is fantastic though, nothing is cooler than helping out fellow reefers and strengthening friendships/building new ones.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2009 at 1:41pm
Great suggestion!  I'll make sure we discuss it at the next pres meeting.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2009 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by sanddune600 sanddune600 wrote:

as cool of an idea this is I see lots more bad coming out than good total makeover is a lot to ask if people need help they should be informed to ask and I bet people would help if they asked I bet if I put a post that my sump broke and I need one tonight to fit in my stand and said I didnt have any money someone one would give me one to get by tonight 

i agree with this idea. we are here to help. we are here to offer whatever it takes in a time of need. i was helped in my time of need with temperature problems in the move to utah. i am certainly here to help.

this means the person would have to be on the forums and know how to get the help needed, and have the desire for it. i would hate to see people that have let their tanks go because they dont care/dont have time and then we come in and fix it up, just to have it fall back apart after their "renewed interest" has worn off.

or if they have the interest, but not the money, we would just be prolonging the situation. meaning if it was fixed up, and they didn't have the money to keep adding salt, RODI water, ect, then it would fall back apart.

i think we just need to be here as a resource. whether it is just questions and answers, or physically going out to help someone, that is what we are here for.

but, if the club decides to do this, i will be there. i will always help the cause.
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic