Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A different world

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A different world
    Posted: August 01 2004 at 9:32am
I'm in a different world this morning. I know some of you, all of you? are saying "yeah Mark's always in a strange world"

Well I started looking at the tank through the Jewelers Loop that I bought at Inkleys and wow
Joh Finch posted some macroimages a while back. Here's what I saw:

This is at the bottom of the 2 week old 75. The rock was dead dry rubble rock and the sand was clean but old CaribSea with Utah Oolitic. It came from either the quart of LS or the three pieces of LR.

This is a tiny lobster-like animal that was moving its mouthparts(right side) very fast.

On the glass, the little hydroid thingies that appear in many new tanks then seem to vanish. They are about pinhead size. The larger white invert at about 8 o'clock it is a Copepod, I believe. Someone please correct me if I wrong about that. The other white spots are microscopic inverts too, but way to small to identify(?).

Most people should recognize this 1/4" baby bad guy!

Now as I look at these images, the quality really suffered in shrinking them to be posted here. The originals are much crisper. If anyone is interested, I'll be happy to email the larger image files. Click here to email me.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2004 at 9:50am
Here's an attempt to crop and enlarge and sharpen the lobster-shrimp thing:

ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2004 at 10:06am

::Cringes at sight of baby bad guy::

I have them taking over my refugium right now.

Anyone used Aiptasia for nutrient uptake?

Great pictures BTW.

Edited by ssilcox
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2004 at 10:32am
I'm like a new hobbyist with this new tank. Any coral is better than no coral

Three Peppermint shrimp haven't touched them yet, but it's only a matter of time.

SMatney's husband wasn't impressed with my 75 gal phyto farm and to tell you the truth, neither am I. You can tell by the color of the background in those pics that it's still pretty green, but the Stylopora did some eating overnight which is helping clear it up. The five gallons of Rotifers, thanks to Suzy and RStruhs, and a dark blanket covering for parts of two days did a good job at clearing it.

I also have a huge Claudiella, a brilliant green Brain and a rock of Woods polyps to get from Ollie. That will probably take care of final clearing in a day. The 5" Spiney Oyster, 4" Durasa and 2" Crocea are doing awesome. I'm actually worried what I'll feed when they've eaten all the phyto

It's good I got a bottle of Marine Snow for $7 and a can of Black powder for $10 yesterday at MSM. The SPS Gumbo that Adam made is going to come in handy too. I guess, I'll owe the club for that
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2004 at 1:22pm

mark thanks for all your help and showing me all your bugs, they are awesome!!!!!!! i always wanted to see all the critters in live sand. again thanks the gumbo is great also! i forgot to get a cup of sand from you could you bring it thursday?

jeff

Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2004 at 1:34pm

I,m afraid that my Flame hawkfish has eaten all of my peppermint shrimp,and now I,m seeing aptasia popping up in my tank.

Any other suggestions for solving this problem other than getting rid of the hawkfish, he's one of my favorites, I know of the kalkwasser injection but I was wondering if there was anything else.

Brad

335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2004 at 7:07pm
A Butterfly(not Long-Nosed). They are awesome and as long as their diet is good, they don't pick at coral as much as reputed.
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2004 at 7:18pm

Which butterfly would you recommend?, I have a coral beauty and 4 tangs and a few other fish, would a certain butterfly be better than another?

Brad

335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2004 at 11:05am
So has anyone had any success catching their peppermint shrimp? They have done an amazing job of keeping my tank clean of aptasia, but like Silcox, my sump/refugium is getting overwhelmed. I'd like to move some from the main tank to the refugium, but haven't had any luck grabbing them. Any ideas?
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2004 at 11:19am

Which butterfly would you recommend?

Iron Butterfly!

(sorry, I don't have anything constructive to add to this thread...)

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2004 at 11:57am
Mark, can I have that copepod?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2004 at 12:30pm
Copperband, Racoon, Heniochus/Banner Fish (looks somewhat like a Moorish Idol)or try whatever looks nice. Be watchful of your coral just in case and if you like Iron Butterfly, play some of that while the fish is being introduced.

Small necked bottle like a salad dressing bottle with a length of fishing line tied to the neck leading out of the tank. Some meaty food in the bottle will entice the shrimp. Just pull it out of the tank when a shrimp goes inside!

I have a ton of bugs on the sand. I even went crazy and took some macro mpegs of them scurrying around.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2004 at 1:54pm

I'm considering removing my two peppermint shrimp.  I figure I'll wait until Thursday, ask Andy some questions first, then decide if I want to give them away.

As for butterflies- There is a list of "good butterflyfishes" in the Conscientious Marine Aquarist, page 230.  Here are a few from that list...

Chaetodon aculeatus
C. argentatus
C. ephippium
C. lunula
C. sedentarius
C. semilarvatus
C. unimaculatus
C. xanthurus
C. longirostris and F. flavissimus

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2004 at 1:55pm

I made an error on that list.  At the end it should say
Forcipiger longirostris and also F. flavissimus.  And all of them should have been in italics, sorry.

Adam

ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2004 at 2:10pm

Adam -

When you say "Good butterflies" do mean reef safe? I have wanted a Lunula for a while but have heard everywhere that they are not reef safe, i.e. eating coral and inverts.

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2004 at 3:10pm

Shane,

Sorry, no.   Those are most hardy, or easiest to keep types of butterflies.  I'm not sure which I would say are reef safe.  Hmmm, whatever I say will probably get Jake to say the opposite. 

I'll think about it, and get back to you.

Adam

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic