Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

algae

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
drivr08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drivr08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: algae
    Posted: April 08 2009 at 12:03am

I am having problems growing algae in my sump.i wish i had the problem of saying i need to thin out but i dont i have to keep buying or getting macro,grape,and other types but only last month or two some help i cant grow the stuff

loving life as a english teacher kids are what the world is made of
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 8:11am
What type of lighting are you running over the sump?

How many watts?
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
drivr08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drivr08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2009 at 1:10am
24 watt pc and 100 watt regular libht bulb 55 gal sump should say 55 gal tank,and also i cant keep algae in my tank eithed bought rotifers and phyto feast because i was told to but green color on rocks for week or so and then its gone but my coaline algae is exploded
mardoc9024 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mardoc9024 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2009 at 11:04am
Possibly you need to add Iron to the sump for the Macro to grow.  I had to on mine before it started to explode in growth.
210 reef
marastar 250w lighting
Midvale 879-9322
drivr08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drivr08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2009 at 11:53am
yeah already done that,still nothing i just turned my skimmer down also so more stuff stays in the sump but nothing,i put some grape in my daughters nano and its growing like crazy im dumb founded.
Bluespotjawfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluespotjawfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2009 at 8:05am

Replace your bulbs with NEW ones that are around a 6700k spectrum.  Even if you have the 6700k spectrum bulb already, try new ones if your bulbs are over 3 months old. 

Test your phosphate (algae needs a little of this available).  0.03 is plenty. 

How long do you run your lights? 14 hours? 

How close are your lights to the algae?  The closer the better.

Oh, and stop watching it.  It won't grow if you watch it - lol! LOL

I've always got more chaeto if you need any.

Lorraine
801-556-4286

Home of the baby Picasso!
drivr08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drivr08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 9:03am
thanks lorraine, i try and not watch it grow too much LOLTongue im getting 65 watt pc to put over the sump  and i stopped the phosban reactor i think i took too much out the last time we talked
Bluespotjawfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluespotjawfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 9:36am
If it makes you feel any better I couldn't get mine to grow much last year and now I harvest (throw away) a few quart bags of it a week easy.
Home of the baby Picasso!
drivr08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drivr08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 5:20pm
well i just got 54 watt pc hopefully that will help thnx lorraine,let me know when you have a good chunk of the pink milli available
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2009 at 3:57am
maybe its possible to have to clean of water =)?
meaning lacking nutrients that the algae needs to grow fast... but it still stays alive right? 
Id consider that a good thing if thats the case... 

drivr08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drivr08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 5:41pm
now that i have put 54 watt pc my grape is growing feather caulurpa is gfrowing and my red grape but havent tried macro so im happy thanks for all the advice and i not sure if its too clean cause i overfeed and overdose so i should have hair algae but i dont so i guess ill live with it
tazman1982 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 5:46pm
The Phosban is competing for food with the Micro, it removes it and the micro can't grow with out it's food. I only run a phosphate remover 2-3 days a month and that is it.
75 Reef
55 Reef

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic