Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No SPS polyps...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No SPS polyps...
    Posted: August 09 2004 at 10:26pm

I got several great sps frags from the last frag meeting.  When I put them in my tank the Branching Monti frags both had polyps extended for a couple days.  Since then none of my frags have had their polyps extended.  They still have good color and some have colored up better since I got them, but no polyps extend.  What am I doing wrong here.

A little background that may help as I'm wondering if any of this is a problem:

1) I have a spraybar at the top middle of my tank.  This is the only water movement in the tank at the moment.  The SPS's are in the highest water movement area of the tank, but the flow is uni-directional.  Could this be the problem?  I am in the process of obtaining several Powerheads to hook up to the wavemaker I have.  Would anyone expect this to help?

2) I do not currently dose much in the way of calcium.  Every time I test it's at about 450 ppm.  I haven't checked the Alk in forever, but I will be getting a test kit for it as soon as I can get to an LFS.  Everything else in my tank is doing Awesome so I don't think anything is off too much.

3) I have lots of Softies & LPS.  Could they be somehow affecting the SPS negatively?  Nothing is actually touching the SPS.

Any ideas would be helpful as I don't know much about SPS and am kind of perplexed.

reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2004 at 11:14pm
Softies can cause chem warfare... this can be a problem. As for alk... IMO, this is more important than calcium, by far... test asap! Getting the water flow up (wavemaker) should also be a great step in sps health.
www.captivereefing.com
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2004 at 6:10am
You can give me the troublemaker softies & LPS if that will help!

I'll bet it's the alkalinity. How's your hermits?
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2004 at 6:28am

I keep getting different opinions on what your Alkalinity should be, what do you keep yours at? Last time I checked mine was at 12.3 DKH, but Shane at Aquatica told me my polyps would come out much better if I lowered mine to around 8, he says that is what his big show tank is at and if you have seen his tank , you know that he is doing something right, it,s incredible.

Brad

335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2004 at 8:47am
1. Water movement unidirectional? Is there any strong water movement in any direction? YES, definitely hook up some powerheads to that wavemaker and blast those suckas!

2. Since you have coralline algae and everything else is doing well, I doubt it has as much to do with alkalinity. But, is there available calcium? Is there calcium available to replenish that which is taken from the water, as fast as it is taken from the water? That's the key. If you are not dosing with Kalkwasser or adding a B-Ionic type of additive, you might try that and see what happens.

3. Coral chemicals in the water can inhibit other coral. This is also a valid concern. The easy way to remove those chemicals is to run activated carbon at least half-time.

And in conclusion, the way they are acting may just be how they want to be in your tank. I would check them at various times at night for polyp extension. Some coral just don't do well together. Don't let this discourage you from making the modifications recomended above. Also keep trying other SPS. There will be some that like the conditions, while others do not.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2004 at 9:06am

I guess I must halfway retract some of my previous comments.  I checked at about midnight last night with a flashlight and some of my SPS had polyps out.  Even the Branching Monti had some polyps out, but not very far.

I am running AC almost all of the time.  At the moment it probably needs a recharge depending on who you talk to, but that will be happening as soon as I can get some more too.

Suzy, in order to give you the Softies and LPS I'd have to return the tank too. and that would defeat the whole purpose.  As for the hermits, they are mostly,   fine, but I think they want to be feed more.  Don't they always?

Tileman, I don't currently know what my Alk is, but I will be getting a kit tomorrow to test it.  8.0 sounds like a good point to shoot for if that is what makes Shawn's tank look so great.  I've got to get down there again soon.

Mark, the current in my tank is pretty stong, it's just that it only moves 1 direction.  As I said a wavemaker is on it's way.  I also want to start dosing with kalwasser, but that won't happen for at least a week. 

Also, I don't care if they are acting the way they want to in my tank.  They aren't acting the way I want them to!   What do you mean they don't care how I want them to act?  I'm going to have to have a long talk with them.  Hey, maybe that's the problem.  I don't talk to them enough.  Think that will help?Too Funny

rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2004 at 10:36am
Will, you might want to check your magnesium also.
Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2004 at 11:15am
If you find the answer to your problem I would be interested to hear about it. I have had this problem for a while now and still haven't found a solution. Right now I am trying to bring up my alk to see if that helps. Do you have any fish in the tank that may be nipping at the coral? I have a bicolor blenny that I keep wanting to take out just to see if it changes things.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2004 at 11:52am

Thanks a lot Kevin.  I know it's your fault.  Here I was going to say "Yes I have a Bicolor Blenny, but no he doesn't nip at the corals."  So I turn around and sure enough he's nipping at one.  If you hadn't written it down here he wouldn't have read it and gotten the idea.

Maybe he will have to go in my new Damsel tank when I set it up.  It will be a Fish Only tank so nothing he can nip on.  That will be a few weeks though.

Magnesium Check, Check!

So here's my shopping list:

Alk Test Kit

2-3 Powerheads

Activated Carbon

Stuff to rig up a Kalk dripper thingy

Magnesium Test Kit, Possibly.

Also: Look at everything else and wish I could have it.  (My wife won't like that.)

rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2004 at 12:06pm
Will, let us know what you come up with for the "Stuff to rig up a Kalk dripper thingy".  I may need to take the same path.
Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2004 at 3:59pm

Will, as long as you're looking longingly at fish stuff, and not other girls, life is good.  Just teasing ya!  In our tank, things look much happier when the alkalinity is up around 10.  I can tell by the look of things when it is around 9.  If I come home and I'm thinking "Dangit!! What's UP with you guys!  You need Prozac, or WHAT"... then I check the alkalinity and it's around 8 or 9.  I don't know if that will help, but since my tank is sort of a "twin" to your, and my polyps are out... and the only thing I've started doing different in the last month or so is alkalinity... it's worth a though.

Btw, we have our first Mushroom Baby.  It's a brown fuzzy one that I got from you.  We watched it split.  It was terribly cool.  Your green mushrooms are all at least 3" across, and one is about 6" across, I'd guess. 

Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2004 at 4:14pm
Just so you know, I have found the Bicolor blenny VERY elusive when it comes to trying to take them out of a tank. I am actually going to try taking mine out in a week or so and put it in my friends tank for a few weeks just to see if there is any improvement. When you try taking him out let me know if it makes a difference.

Thanks
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2004 at 8:21pm

Will, I don't believe anyone knows the answer to your question.  Just remember out in the real reef most of these corals keep their polyps retracted except at night.  As long as they grow, no worries.

(but all those things you're going to do will certainly help your tanks health)

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 10:34pm
Bicolor Blennies like the soft algae film that grows on the rock and glass each day, especially in bright light. If they don't get this algae, they go for the next best thing, the film of zooxanthellae laden flesh of the SPS corals.

I just got a bicolor a week ago and now it's stomach is as big as a horse!

Try this. It's an alternative to trying to change the chemistry of the water:

Double the amount of feeding of coral food, fine particulate and mushy foods, commercially prepared coral foods and let the bright light shine more intensely or longer. This will grow more soft algae film for the bicolor and all the little inverts that crawl around on the rocks looking for something edible. An increase of food for the fish wouldn't hurt. I can't remember if you have many carnivores, but both types of feedings will be good for them as direct food and as an increase in edible "bugs".

This might keep the SPS from being picked at, but not always because once fish get used to a food source it's hard to entice them away from it.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2004 at 8:26am

Thanks for all the help.  I'm starting to think I may need to be up in the night since that is when I found the polyps extended.  I would still like to impliment the above ideas though.  As Jon said they would all improve my tank anyway.

Mark, I think if I feed my tank more than I do I might have problems.  I'm one of those people who has to be feeding all the time because I enjoy watching everything eat.  I've been out of town quite a bit lately so I've let the algae grow on the front of the tank and all my herbivores are quite enjoying it.  Especially the Bicolor.  Even when I'm home I never clean the sides or back of the tank in hopes that this will keep them all fed.  I also feed a lot of other green since I think the tangs and angels enjoy that.  I don't know if the bicolor does or not.

Kevin, as for catching a bicolor, I found it very easy.  Simply take all the rock out of your tank and he will come with whichever piece he's hiding in a hole of.  The hard part is figuring out which piece that is.  When I rearranged my rock several months ago I thought I'd lost mine.  After putting it all back, the next day he was swimming happily and looking for food.

Rodney, I think I've seen a DIY Kalk Reactor either on this board or on RC.  I was hoping to find some instructions on setting one up.  If I do I'll point you in the same direction.

Wiemers, thanks for your support.  Right now my alk is at 8.  Maybe I'll shoot for 10 and see what happens.  I finally got an Alk test kit yesterday and now realized that my PH kit is crap.  (It's one of those dip sticks.)  Guess I'll be getting one of those soon too.  I'm glad to hear your mushrooms are doing well.  I still need to get out and see the other twin soon.  We'll shoot for before the reef tour.

ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2004 at 8:34am

Hey Will - I noticed you said you had an angel. Have you noticed it picking on your polyps?

My wife was in love with a little eibli angel, so we got it hoping we would get one that wouldnt pick on things. Well, he doesnt pick on LPS, cool. He doesnt pick on my clams... cool. He decided he has a taste for SPS. Sooo - keep an eye on your angel - he may be the culprit.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2004 at 7:58pm

I have been out of town for a few days and come home tonight and noticed that polyps are out on all but my Branching Monti.  My Tri-Color Acro is looking really cool right now.  I'm so stoked!!!Too Happy 1

Shane, I haven't seen my angels picking at my polyps, but you know how they are.  They may wait until I leave the room.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic