Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worm Picture

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worm Picture
    Posted: March 20 2003 at 10:47pm

Can anyone id this worm?  it's about 1/8" thick, white on the bottom(?) dark on top.  The mouth completely retracts into the "neck" (excuse my french, but it's as if the head has a foreskin).  The mouth has many white tenticles/teeth(?).  The worm stretches out exposes it's mouth, touches the rock, and retracts it's head.  It doesn't seem to be harming anything, just courious.  In the picture you can see the head extended on the star polyps with the main body back behind the rock on the left.  (sorry for the bad focus, it's dark in the tank :) ).

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2003 at 4:04am
It looks like a peanut worm. I have a couple in my tank that look like the one you have. From what I have been able to find out, they are harmless and eat the fine detritus that may settle on the rock or sand.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2003 at 9:02pm

I've had these too and they are great. They are creepy becuse of how they retract inside themself. One of them was the color of alternating black and white rings that reminded me of the sand worm in the movie Beetlejuice.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic