Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clean up crew for a Nano...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Greenanemone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenanemone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clean up crew for a Nano...
    Posted: July 01 2009 at 2:44pm
I have had this nano cube set up for a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time.  Call me crazy but I love watching things like copepods take over.  There have been no fish in this tank for a long time.  I have some corals--- but---- I just added a small yellow clown goby.  Because the tank hasn't had to be FED until now... I have had everything under control.  My concern now is the unwanted brine shrimp that the goby doesn't eat.... Obviously I am going to try to only put in what he eats BUT would you think a brittle star would survive with so little "waste"... Or what other cleanup animal agent could I sign up for the job since there isn't a huge bioload yet...

Up until now a few hermits and snails have been doing the task.... But I am beginning to see that I may need a little more "something"....

Ryan
Nobody is perfect! I'm a nobody!
grateful1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grateful1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2009 at 4:39pm
Emerald crabs are pretty (if you ever see them) and will help out with general clean-up. Plus, they'll take care of bubble algae.

Personally, I'm a big fan of snails. There are many different varieties, so they don't all have to look the same.  And all the ones I have had have been super peaceful and haven't messed with anything.

If I were to do it over again, I would have steered away from hermit crabs.  They have killed a bunch of my snails (even though they had a wide selection of shells to choose from), and they climb on some of my corals, which makes the corals mad.
37g reef.
Frag tank in progress.
(801) 403-4006.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic