Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aluminum Trim?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aluminum Trim?
    Posted: July 06 2009 at 11:12pm
I am refurbishing a home made tank that is about 86 gallons. Thank sits on a stand made of aluminum tubing and channel and seems very strong. When I picked up the tank it was permanently attached to the stand with strips of mirror and wood moldings siliconed to both the tank and stand. I had to set the unit on its side to get it inside a minivan to transport home. The tanks came loose from the stand on the way which was probably a good thing because now it's easier to move around.

I removed the wood moldings and mirror from the tank and stand. I am getting ready to put new trim on the top and bottom of the tank. I am thinking of using aluminum corner moldings from Home Depot.

I have never seen a tank trimmed in aluminum. Are there any issues with using aluminum to trim the tank? Because the tank was home made the glass edges and corners are not in the best shape so I want to cover them both to protect the glass and myself. I plan on using it as a grow out tank for frags.

Burt

Edited by bfessler - July 06 2009 at 11:12pm
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 10:40am
Well this project came to a screeching halt this morning. after removing the existing wood moldings and scraping off the silicone in preparation for resealing the tank I found out that the builder of the tank never put any silicone between the glass panels. They just glued up the corners and stuck wood molding on the outside edges. No wonder it leaked. The glass is also badly cracked along the edges and I don't feel comfortable reusing the glass. Since nothing is a standard size I guess I will just recycle the aluminum and glass.

Anyone know where to recycle glass panels and aluminum?
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 4:51pm
Wow. Sorry to hear that but I guess it is better to find out sooner than later.

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic