Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

need help drilling my tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
little swimmers food View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little swimmers food Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need help drilling my tank
    Posted: August 11 2009 at 10:03am

i have a 100 gal i am going to do a coast to coast overflow with a 1.5" drain and a 1" secondary.  I need to know what size hole do I need to drill and also how far from the top does it need to be?  I live in logan area if someone could help me drill it or knows of anyone in the area that would be great any help ar sedgestions would be helpful.

dont steal from the ocean trade corals and compete with it
snoyce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snoyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2009 at 10:34am

Hole size depends on the bulk head, go with the recommended size for the particular bulk head you are using, some heavy duty bulkheads need bigger size holes.

With that said the standard 1" bulk head uses a 45mm glass hole saw, and 1 1/2" normally uses the 60mm

I have heard to keep the holes the size of the diameter away from any edges on the glass or top and any other holes, so for 1 1/2 inch you need to be down 60mm from the top and over 60mm from the side and do not put another hole within 60mm of it.

after having drilled my tank my suggestions would be go very, very slow, keep a hose or water source on the bit the entire time, the hardest part in my opinion to making a clean hole is getting the bit started without it moving around. Overall I thouht the hardest part of the whole thing is getting the tank outside and turned on the front so I could drill straight down with the garden hose on it, the actual drill went smoothly, it took me about 15 minutes of constant slow drilling to get through my 29 gallon but the holes turned out good I think, not as smooth as the predrilled on my 90 gallon but not really jagged or chipped out on the inside or outside.
Scott Noyce
90G reef ready AGA display
basment 20G sump, 29G fuge
4x54 watt T5 retro SLR
Octopus NW150
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2009 at 11:41am
Check out this from Bulk Reef Supply they have a list of drills they sell and the bulkheads they work with. If you check out their videos they also have a good instructional video on drilling your tank. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Plumbing-and-Pumps-Schedule-80-Plumbing-Diamond-Glass-Drill-Bits/c14_15_41/index.html

Good Luck,
Burt

Edited by bfessler - August 11 2009 at 11:55am
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic