Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aclimation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
marine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aclimation
    Posted: August 30 2004 at 1:38pm
Hey guys I ended up putting the Powder blue tang in my aquarium! How long does it take to acclimate and can Is it very likely to get ich
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 1:54pm
I use the drip method as found here:

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/acclimation.php

They recommend 4+ hours.

Good Luck!
210 gallon Mixed Reef
Kull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 2:20pm

I think that most acclimation procedures are pretty similiar, SMith and fosters has a good article as well.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pages id=19

"So this is what gives meaning to your life." -Unknown

Daniel in Santaquin
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 3:19pm
I don't waste time dripping! It's not a good idea. It unecessarily stresses the fish which ought to get out of the tiny cage and into a nicer environment ASAP.

Here's what I do instead:
Float the bag only if it needs to be cooled down to within a few degrees of tank temperature. If the tank water temp is warmer or within a few degrees, I do the following without floating the bag. Carefully pull the open bag out of a small clean bucket leaving the fish to swim a moment. Then, one hand holds the bucket on the lip of the tank, while the other clean hand carefully lifts the fish (even Tangs) out of the water and into the tank letting it swim away on it's own. (Be careful with nervous, floppy fish like wrasses and damsels.)

You'd be surprised how much the fish appreciate this careful handling, rather than netting and/or spending forever in a tiny plastic cage, and it's nice to have that tactile contact with the new pet!
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 9:43pm
Mark - are you suggesting not acclimating at all? What about pH and/or salinity differences between the bag and tank?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2004 at 10:16am
I suppose that's pretty much what it boils down to. Surprising huh! Actually, I consider it to be a different kind of TLC if I explained it correctly.

If it were you in the bag and you had the chance to get out of the stuffy bag into a nice room where the the air temperature and smell was slightly different, would you choose to stay in the stuffy bag or run into the room? Oh sure you might shiver for a moment or go "Ugh it smells bad in here", but in two moments it wouldn't matter!

How different can pH and salinity be? A few decimal points? So what!. In large bodies of water, there are differences of temperature, salinity, turbidity etc. everywhere. Have you been in a lake where the water at your feet was colder than at your shoulders? Fish swim right through those!

So has anybody ever checked pH or salinity on the water in the bag vs the tank? (I have )

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2004 at 11:50am

I think acclimation may be one of those things most do because they were told its important. Im not even sure its that important with most corals. Most of the time, I just pull corals straight out of the bag and put them in the tank. Ive never lost a fish or coral this way. Im sure there are exceptions though.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic