Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DIY ATO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY ATO
    Posted: August 23 2009 at 9:56am
I have been playing around with an DIY ATO that is inexpensive, has no moving parts, and uses no power. I think this version is finally ready for prime time. It uses a Poultry and Wild Game water trough that can be had in 3, 5, and 7 Gallon sizes. Check it out

This is a simple project and takes between 10 and 30 minutes to set it up. Here are the instructions.
1. Gather the supplies. You will need the following
     Little Giant Poultry and Game Bird Waterer - Available at Cal Ranch Stores.
     1' of 3/4" ID Tubing
     2 - 3/4" Barb by 1/2" FPT Elbow Fittings
     2 - Hose Clamps
     1 - 1/2" FPT by 1/4" Barb Fitting
     1 - 1/2" Close Nipple
     1 - 1/2" Ball Valve (Threaded)
     1 - 1/2" MPT by 1/4" OD John Guest Fitting
     1/4" OD Tubing
     1/4" ID Tubing
     Small Zip ties
     Teflon Thread Tape
     Silicone Plumbers Grease
2. Take the distribution tray and the small black cap off the waterer and discard
3. Drill a hole in the top outlet barb. This is for venting the unit.
3. Cut 2 - 2" pieces of 3/4" Tubing and fit one end on hte 3/4" Barb fitting and the other to the water outlet barbs on the waterer. Use a hose clamp to secure the tubing to the Waterer.
4. Put thread tape on the 1/4" Barb x 1/2" MPT fitting and attach to the Top 3/4" Barb x 1/2" FPT Elbow Fitting.
5. Put thread tape on the 1/2" nipple and attach it to the bottom 3/4" Barb x 1/2" FPT Elbow Fitting and the 1/2" Threaded Ball Valve.
6. Put thread tape on the John Guest Fitting and attach to the Ball Valve.
7. Attach the 1/4" OD Tubing to the top Barb Fitting.
8. Attach the 1/4" ID Tubing to the John Guest Fitting Note: Apply a little Silicone Grease to the tube before inserting into the John Guest Fitting.
Note: I found that it is necessary to use a larger diameter tubing on the top/Air Vent tube than the lower/water supply tube to induce flow.
9. Zip tie the 2 tubes together about every 6" This helps keep the tubes form tangeling.
10. Run tubing to Tank and position them at desired water level.
11. Cut off excess tubing.
Note. I found it works best if you cut the Water Supply tube about 1/2" Longer than the vent tube.
12 Secure the cut tubing in position If there is something you can put a zip tie around you can simply zip tie the tubing in position or use a suction cup or other method to secure the tubing.
13. Apply Silicone Grease to the O ring for the screw on top. This will assure an air tight seal and make attaching the top easier

Your done. Here's a couple more pictures.

Edited by bfessler - August 23 2009 at 9:59am
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic