Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

250W too much?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 250W too much?
    Posted: September 30 2009 at 9:54pm
So I am thinking of getting an Aqua Medic MH to put over my Nano. I know, I know, me using MH?!?!Confused

I just am tired of this light on my NC and Bob has that sweet fixture for sell for way cheap.

Do you think a 250W fixture is too much for my nano cube? I can hang the light above the tank and keep it a ways off the water surface. I was actually thinking of leaving it 18" or so off to begin with and seeing how everything reacts.

I am also worried about heat in the tank. As is I can't keep my temp below 79F with no heater. Does anyone see a problem with that?

Thanks is advance!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2009 at 9:57pm
If it is 18" above the water it should be fine. You are reducing the intensity by raising the light. Why not reduce the wattage instead and not have so much light bleed-over?

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2009 at 9:59pm
Mike,

I thought of seeing if anyone had a 150W ballast that I could trade the 250W for.

Thanks!
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 11:08am
Ryan,
If your going to abandon the T5 Idea and go MH you might as well swallow all you pride and look at the aquatraders pendant. It has a 150w MH and 2 14w T5HO tubes for $90.00.

I saw one on chads tank and it looks great.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
pa_reptileman_4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 11:16am
Originally posted by bfessler bfessler wrote:

Ryan,
If your going to abandon the T5 Idea and go MH you might as well swallow all you pride and look at the aquatraders pendant. It has a 150w MH and 2 14w T5HO tubes for $90.00.

coworker of mine just picked this up as well loves it...
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 11:20am
I am not abandoning my T5!!!!!! T5 is the ONLY way I will go on my new tank.

The problem is there are ZERO T5 fixtures for a nano cube. I don't want to buy one of the garbage Current USA fixtures as a temporoary light. I plan on having my new tank around Christmas. Until then I really want to color my corals up and with the stock lighting I have, it will never happen.

So my idea is to get Bob's MH pendant he is selling. It is a great price and will do exactly what I need right now. I can use it later on a frag tank or list it for sale once I am done with it. I could also have John buy it from me at Reef Runners to use on our new SPS only system.

We installed Phoenix bulbs down at Reef Runners and I can't believe the colors that the SPS are showing now. They were completely browned out and ugly. Now one of them is baby blue with green tips. Very pretty.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 11:26am
I couldn't resist the dig.

The point is the aquatraders light has both the MH and T5HO and will fit on a nano for about the same price as Bobs light and you dont have to mess around with changing the ballast and bulb to reduce the amount of light.

Just a thought
Burt

[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 11:27am
Originally posted by pa_reptileman_4 pa_reptileman_4 wrote:

Ryan,

coworker of mine just picked this up as well loves it...

They are out of stock on their site and I also will NEVER use anything Odyssea again. I don't care if 100 people on here buy them and have great things to say. I owned Odyssea once and that was enough of a headache for me. Ballast always went out, company didn't stand behind their warranty, wanted me to ship it to China!

Their bulbs are also terrible colors.

I appreciate the idea but I really like the thought of Bob's pendant. I can also look for a 150W ballast and bulb and always trade someoneTongue

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 11:32am

I couldn't resist the dig.

The point is the aquatraders light has both the MH and T5HO and will fit on a nano for about the same price as Bobs light and you dont have to mess around with changing the ballast and bulb to reduce the amount of light.

Just a thought

Burt,

I looked at those fixtures last night while I was trying to decide  what to do. I just can't purchase a Chinese knock off. I did once and hated my experience with it.

I have a Current Powerbrite LED fixture. It is all blue and I am gonna find a way to rig it onto the pendant. That way I also get a sweet dusk/dawn!
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 11:34am

Thumbs Up

Burt

[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 11:39am
Back to the original question...

Does anyone think 250W will be too much light?

We run the exact same light setup at Reef Runners and the light is probably 18" off the water. I don't think the corals get enough light actually but we can't move them any closer.

I also found a guy that has a nano with a 250W MH over it. The fixture is only 5" off the water. His SPS look amazing!

Edited by Ryan Thompson - October 01 2009 at 11:41am
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 11:43am
If its a temporary solution anyway it should be fine. You will have plenty of light and can fine tune the exposure by raising and lowering the fixture. It looks like reselling the fixure when your done will be easy as well. It looks like a no loose project to me.

Edited by bfessler - October 01 2009 at 11:44am
Burt

[email protected]
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 1:04am
Personally I think it would be fine.  I thoughtI wouldhave way too much light over my 65 with 2 250's and 2 65w PC actinic but my corals seem very happy and I like the color.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic