Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Image file size restriction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2009 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by thefu thefu wrote:

Ya, my old iphone was 2Mp, and the files were usually under 150k, the new one is 3Mp I think. Trust me, I know how to shrink images, thats not the issue...I have been using photoshop forever (v2?). It's just another PITA step. It is just so much easier to email a photo to myself, save it, and then upload it without resizing it or using a service.
I guess I will suffer until the next version...hopefully version 10 is faster too...this forum software is still kinda doggish.  Whats the ETA on the upgrade?

I've never really thought of this forum as being "doggish". I think that sometimes people who know a bit about internet sites, hosting, servers, etc. can be a bit harsh about a free, public forum run by volunteers and paid for by a not-for-profit organization. It looks fine and loads fine to me! Keep up the good work, you know who you are!

I need to work on my photo skills, since I can't get what I think is a decent picture out of my iphone, seriously speaking. I don't know why we need more file space for my pictures that may not be so great.

thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2009 at 10:14pm
I run a free , public, not-for-profit forum. And it is peppy. But it runs on different software.

It has nothing to do with the people (jake does a great job)...probably not the hosting...it is the software implementation...that is why I said I hope it is better after the next version is installed. It is hit or miss...sometimes its snappy, other times it is 20-30 seconds for a page update.

As far as the iphone pics, the latest pics I took of my nano (in another thread) are about as good as you can expect. When taking a pic of an aquarium they are often a bit soft since the exposure comp is set to slow so even a slight hand movement blurs the pic. There are apps that can help this by sensing when the camera is not jittering (based on the iphones accelerometer) and then snaps the pic automatically for you. There are also other photo apps that cost $99-$4.99 that help a lot.
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2009 at 10:21pm
Once again, it's free and run by volunteers. Enough said.

I didn't buy my iphone for the camera. I have a Nikon DSLR for that, and software for it as well, so why mess too much with a camera in a phone?

Would you like some cheese with that whine?
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2009 at 10:38pm
I probably should just leave that alone. But its not in my DNA.

I guess the standards of anything you get for "free" should be lower...that is if in fact it were actually free...I pay for this site directly and indirectly...through donations and dues and through tolerating the advertising on the site -- so every visitor pays something. The CNN  and sltrib.com site are "free"...what level of service would you endure there...lowering expectations and standards is not the answer in a situation like this. 

I am sorry if once again I pointed out that the site can, at times lag. This is not a "harsh" slight to anyone.  It is not a showing of being ungrateful. Do not read into it.

As far as the camera in the phone...its convenience...that's all!...I dare not tell you all the sweet digital cameras I own for fear Dion will call ME out for somehow bragging. That said, it is often way more convenient for me to snap a photo with my iPhone than grab one of my others, shoot it, and then download the photo by connecting the camera or removing the card...all for a simple web shot of my tank to share...although sometimes I do break out the heavy artillery.

There is no whining here. Just pointing out that I am glad there will be a software update soon (thanks jake!) that will address the image size issue easier (the actual topic of this thread) and maybe improve performance as well.

I think not much more can be said on this topic until that time.

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2009 at 10:46pm

? There is nothing for me to say. I think you did it just fine....al by yourself.

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic