FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

identify algae

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: identify algae
    Posted: December 01 2009 at 12:55pm
can someone tell me what this is and how to get rid of it. its on the coral its kinda hard to see

Edited by 93_fd - December 01 2009 at 12:56pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2009 at 7:38pm

CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2009 at 10:46pm
It is hair algae, and it can quickly take over a tank. I would recommend dipping it in normal 3% hydrogen peroxide solution for a few minutes. Then follow with an RO rinse. It should melt/kill all the algae and leave the healthy coral. The coral will shrink up for a little while following the dip but should be open/expanded again within hours.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2009 at 11:35pm
this works on some coral while killing others somewhere somone was saying whatt ones where ok on here 
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
becken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote becken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 12:24am
don't know if you saw this one, he's having a bryopsis problem but hydrogen peroxide was recomended, maybe you get some more info or whatever

CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 12:30am
Generally most LPS corals do fine in a 10 minute dip. Soft corals like zoanthids, clove polyps, playthoas and other do fine as well. SPS corals are a little more tricky and should be dipped for only a few seconds. If you don't feel comfortable dipping them, pull the coral out of the tank and use a pipette to apply the peroxide directly to the areas where the algae is growing, and watch it melt off. Just remember to rinse the coral in RO before placing back in the tank.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 1:33am

I use hermit crabs and emerald crabs to control and remove the hair alge in my tank. This can sometime be a slow process or not work at all if your crabs are laisy or under populated. When my crabs get laisy or under populted I just order in some new ones out of Florida and as soon as I drop them in the tank they start cleaning within a week or two it is all cleared up!

Xanth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xanth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 6:16pm

I'm glad to see this discussion.  I have a hair algae infestation that has been so bad for so long that I'm thinking of getting out of the hobby all together.  I've tried adding armies of snails, running with no light (semi-blackout), replacing my halides, starving my fish, huge socks of phosguard, bigger skimmer, new UV, switching to only mysis shrimp, getting a huge algae-eating slug, and nothing has worked AT ALL.  I have had crabs, but have never seen them touch algae.

I had my tank and one before it for 5 years without any problems whatsoever.  This is kicking my butt and removing the enjoyment I get from my tank.  I'm almost desperate enough to try the EcoAquaLizer.  I'm willing to consider almost anything else.  I really wish there was a tank doctor, but last time I paid someone to look at my tank they just checked my levels and shrugged.  That, I can do myself.  All my levels have always been good, except alkalinity is often low.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Xanth Xanth wrote:

I'm glad to see this discussion.  I have a hair algae infestation that has been so bad for so long that I'm thinking of getting out of the hobby all together. ... I really wish there was a tank doctor,

We do this here for free
Post a pic and we will help
In extreme cases I will ask you to call me so we can go over everything.
Don't give up. We can resolve it if you stick with us until we land on the solution.Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 8:17pm

Welcome Xanth,

You'll find lots of friends willing to help. Glad you found us as well.

Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2009 at 1:07am
About two months after I setup my 55 gallon tank, almost the entire tank was covered in hair algae to include growing in the sand. I only had 4 damsels and about 10 hermits I had bought locally. From day one these hermits were lazy. They expected to be feed fish food and had no interest in the algae. So I decided that I needed a bigger clean up crew and it just so happen that TheFu was doing a group order form www.ccritter.com out of Florida. So I order a large clean up crew, about 60 hermits, 40 snails, and 4 emerald crabs. As soon as I dropped these guys into the tank they started cleaning. I was so excited the next morning when I could see spots on my rocks that were like squeaky clean. After about two weeks or so my entire aquarium was squeaky clean. When the algae ran out I move some of them to some of my other tanks, but after awhile they still get lazy and just want the fish food and won't eat the algae as much.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2009 at 7:19am
"but after awhile they still get lazy and just want the fish food and won't eat the algae as much."
You may not realize this but hermits get lazy when they see plenty of tasty food coming into the tank because the hobbyist is overfeeding. You may ask how I can make this kind of judgement based on such a brief statement. Well, I've been at this a long time and have helped hundreds of hobbyists solve their algae problems. I know because I've heard it and seen it many times. I'm not boasting, only trying to help you see that sticking to the advice of this MB will help you solve an algae problem or any other problem with your aquarium.

One thing I should mention is that hobbyists sometimes say that they followed what they read here but it didn't work. If they are brave enough to come back and start communicating back and forth with us, we actually find that they had a slightly different situation or that they didn't fully understand the process or did not completely finish the recommendations. Continuing communication with us here will enable a hobbyist to solve their specific problem. Each problem is slightly different and each tank is slightly different. This means that each solution is slightly different and that one tanks problem may not be solved in the exact same way as another.

Hermit Crabs are opportunistic feeders. They will eat the tastiest and easiest food first. They would rather eat prepared food or a dying fish or snail before bothering with bitter algae.

Most Snails are the opposite of Hermits. Most snails eat only algae. That's why we recommend for every 2 snails, less than one hermit is needed. Snails are the real workhorses when it comes to algae control.

Here is another Rule of Thumb. To ensure that you never have an algae problem, use one snail per gallon. 

For example, a 90 gal tank should have 90 snails and less than 45 hermits
The snails should always be a variety of algae eating types like Astrea, Cerith, and Margarita. Nasarrius snails stir the sand and eat detritus so just add a few of them if you like.

The cool thing about herbivorous snails is that if you find there are too many, that they seem to be starving because they are out too often during daylight hours, simply pick them out and give them to a tank in need.Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 03 2009 at 7:23am
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2009 at 10:24am

It is true I was over feeding my tank for quite some time and probably still am but at a much lesser amount now. I also had a tendency that when I saw the crabs fighting to try and feed them more as well. I also have a 30 gallon tank that started out as a quarantine tank for some LR I purchased and then used as a grow out tank for other rock I wanted to use. It now has the damsels I used to cycle my 55 gallon tank in it and some hermits and a few snails, if the hermits didn't eat them all. The hermits in this tank are much more efficient because I feed the tank much less often then my 55 gallon. 

I'm still really new to salt water tanks and so when I was setting up my first tank a few months ago most all the info I found online (not here, I found this place later) said the opposite of the two snails for every hermit and one snail per gallon. It was 1 hermit for each gallon and half as many snails. I will have to try the 2 snail to every hermit and 1 snail per gallon and see how it works. I would amagin that this is a much better solution as this most likely works for the long term where as with the larger hermit population was more of a short term fix. As the hermit stopped eating the algae would only eat fish food and if I didn't feed them the fish food they would kill each other or my snails. 

Mark I always appreciate your opinions and suggestions!!! I know you have been doing this for year and know how to make things work with and without having to spend all that money for the latest technology. I mean I don't have a problem embracing new technology but I'm a very traditional type of person. Most all you suggestion are alway time tested and true!!!

Every time I post needing help with an issue I'm always hoping that you will chime in and give me you suggestions and opinions!!! Thank you!!!

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2009 at 11:48pm
You are very welcome. I hope I didn't come across too strong about a hobbyist like Xanth sticking with us to resolve a problem. It just worries me because I hate to hear of someone having a long term problem which we could have helped them solve before they threw in the towel.Smile
I've been there and want to help others avoid the mistakes I made as related here in the story "Saving My Reef" http://www.utahreefs.com/SeaStar/wmasSeaStar02Feb.pdf
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2009 at 4:05pm
just a update i put 2 emerald crabs in the tank, one ran off right away but the other one sat on the coral and ate all the algae until it was gone.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2009 at 5:26pm
Nice!

Mike

becken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote becken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2009 at 12:18am
you should put that other pic up here of the fuzzy white stuff that you said rick didn't know what it was, I think I saw it in two places
75g with 40g breeder, Dion stand and canopy, G4 skimmer, mag 12 return with seaswirl, 2 AI Vega LEDs
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2009 at 11:11am
not to worried about it,its only on the one rock, it was on the rock when i put it in. the rock came out of a aquarium that was doing very well, and it hasnt spread at all in the 2 months its been in there.

Edited by 93_fd - December 10 2009 at 11:12am
becken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote becken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2009 at 9:45pm
anyway I got that chaeto in and its quite a bit, I could spare some if you would like
75g with 40g breeder, Dion stand and canopy, G4 skimmer, mag 12 return with seaswirl, 2 AI Vega LEDs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic