Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tank
    Posted: December 22 2009 at 12:36pm
what would make a better tank a nano tank or the bigger tanks? I have herd different things but i am not sure. i would think a bigger one would be better.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2009 at 12:49pm
1) what do you want to keep
2) name a tank you've seen that you want to replicate
3) think about how much you can afford ($100, $1,000, $3,000, $5,000, $10,000)

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Ashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2009 at 12:54pm
well we have a 23 gallon nano and a 280 gallon tank. we use to have the nano set up but we had to do lots of water changes and we could only fit little rock in there so there was less filtration. so we took it down know it sits around the house empty. but are 280 doesn't need as much care as the nano. I would like to no what other people think.  

Edited by Ashley - December 22 2009 at 1:53pm
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2009 at 1:53pm
As to whats better... I think that's really a preference thing... I love big tanks, but I can tell you that my smaller tanks always look like 10x better...
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Ashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2009 at 2:00pm
my nano start to get to much algae. I know that it also depends on the amount of light and flow. with my tank the bigger one always looks better. but lately are hard corals are dieing we have them close to the light. I think they are getting to much light but josh disagrees. He thinks they need more flow.   
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2009 at 2:04pm
I really like my 180g but haven't had it long enough to know forsure what I like better. It seems like the bigger tank is easier to take care of.
jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2009 at 2:25pm
yea that what i think
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2009 at 11:14pm
Well I have had both big and little tanks, IMO i would say the little ones are the easiest.  When I had my nano, i used tap water to top it off and I didnt do water changes.  However, I could grow anything in that tank.  In my 120g (before moving here)  I had big time issues for almost 8 months.  Once it started having a problem, it was a pain in the butt to get it back in spec.  On the little tank, I could do a complete water change if I had to.
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

Ashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2009 at 11:15pm
thats true it not as hard to do a water change on a small take.. I now its a pain with the bigger ones lol
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2009 at 5:35am
So did you decide on a tank then? I will say, I have had a nano 28 gallons and hated the dang little thing. You can't do anything in it. The smallest tank I will play with is a 120 gallon tank. However the bigger the tank the more problems you can run into. You need to have a proper set up with everything. If you decide to do a tank 120 gallon or bigger I can help you out with a list of parts and everything.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2009 at 10:12am
Quote ...the little ones are the easiest...I could grow anything in that tank ...[and do] a complete water change 
In my 120g...I had big time issues... a pain in the butt to get it back in spec.

Comments like these are interesting and make me smile.Smile  I smile because this goes against tradition. The old rule of thumb was the larger the tank the better. This is still true, but to a much lesser extent now that we know more about tank chemistry and use better filtration methods. These days we have a better understanding of the use of LR, LS, LW, Algae, efficient skimmers, AC, good feeding and the effective use of living organisms to keep things in balance. This knowledge is what makes the Nano possible.

What I am seeing here in this thread is the same need that has always existed in this hobby. The need to learn and understand the biology and chemistry of a reef aquarium. Hobbyists need to learn how to set it up so a tank can take care of itself. They also need to learn how to spot problems before they bloom out of control. Hobbyists need to understand that 5 snails in that Nano with a small PC converts to 200 snails in that 180 with MH lighting and an overpopulation of carnivorous fish. And that converts to the need for a lot of $$$$$$Shocked
The question as I see it, is not which one is easier, but does a hobbyist want to take the time to learn how to do it.

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 30 2009 at 10:13am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
GUNDLR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUNDLR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 10:44pm
I think my big tank is easier........Dang my nano's

ASHLEY how bout a pic of your 280??????????????

Dang girl thats big!
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2010 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

[QUOTE] What I am seeing here in this thread is the same need that has always existed in this hobby. The need to learn and understand the biology and chemistry of a reef aquarium. Hobbyists need to learn how to set it up so a tank can take care of itself.

This is the key. If you can set up a tank so that it takes care of itself the hobby becomes fun and not a chore. Small tanks are a challenge because little changes can upset their balance quickly, but if you don't try to push the Nano beyond its limits they can be stable and low maintenance.

I take care of 4 tanks 55 Gallons and smaller and I spend less than 2 hours per week in maintenance besides the 5 minutes a day to run the mag float over the glass. One day I would like to try a bigger tank because of the greater variety of livestock and aquascaping options that are possible. I'm hoping that the lessons I've learned with the smaller tanks will help me set up a larger tank that also takes care of itself for the most part.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
GUNDLR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUNDLR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2010 at 9:00pm
See I agree... I would say if theres a tank thats low maintenance then it would have to be mine.
CHANGE SOCK,EMPTY CAN,FEED,CLEAN GLASS ONCE A WEEK.
Man that  OZONE sure helped out to.   Way less cleaning..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic