FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Acans or "Red Favia"?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acans or "Red Favia"?
    Posted: December 26 2009 at 10:10am
Hey everyone,

I just got this coral last week from a guy breaking down his tank.  He said that this coral came with the tank when he bought it.  He was calling it "Red Favia", but I believe it to be Acans.  It has about 50 heads on it, and seems very healthy.  I was just wondering if there are a lot of Acans like it, or if it's fairly unique.  Also, what do you experts think it would be worth?  It looks pretty ridiculous in my tank, with a bunch of cheap frags around it and this awesome bright red huge Acans right in the middle!  But anyway, just wondering everyone's opinions about it.

Thanks, James.

Edited by _james_ - December 26 2009 at 10:11am
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2009 at 10:39am
Those are acans to my eye. While it is impossible to tell exactly what a coral is without seeing the skeleton I would say that definitely fits in the acan family.

As far as what it is worth is all subjective. I would say in a store you are looking at $150 maybe $200. Here on the board people would probably only pay $100. But then again a coral is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it.

Hope that helps and great find!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2009 at 10:44am
Definitely Acans.

Mike

smitchell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2009 at 11:56am
Cool, thanks guys. Mike I think me and a friend of mine had lunch lunch with you at the Mountain West Reeffest, along with that guy who has the tank that's framed into his wall. I just got a Canon Rebel T1i for Christmas! I need to start coming to the meetings and all that jazz so I can learn from the best on how to photograph these corals!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2009 at 12:02pm
Sorry about previous post from username 'smitchell', my mom had logged onto my computer.

-James.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2009 at 12:21pm
That is awesome James! I think you are going to enjoy that camera.

Mike

Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2009 at 1:12pm
I agree James. That coral does look rediculous in your tank. It would look much better in mine. And Ryan is crazy on his prices. I think $10 is much more realistic LOL
Life is good....right?
GUNDLR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUNDLR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2010 at 3:37pm
hook me up with frag like you said you would homie!

i got a sawzall
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2010 at 3:48pm
I'll give you 125.00 if your selling....

Are we starting an auction? If so, I wish to lower my opening bid. LOL
I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
GUNDLR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUNDLR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2010 at 4:47pm
its a reverse auction

92.80 pleaseWink
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2010 at 4:58pm
A Sawzall?!?!  I think not...
I tried to do it with a dremel but I don't know if I heated up the tissue too much or what, but the frag didn't make it.
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2010 at 6:26pm
PLEASE dont frag such a beauty. Send me a PM and we can talk cash....
I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2010 at 9:25pm
Haha I don't even want to sell it Connie.  I realize it's a beauty and it deserves to stay as one, but I just wanted to share the wealth.  Plus it's forming a ball as you can see, so there are some unhappy heads on the bottom that aren't getting any light..  I just thought I would hack them off and give them the light that they deserve.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic