Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Apex / Lunar Simulation Module HELP?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bluespotjawfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluespotjawfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Apex / Lunar Simulation Module HELP?
    Posted: January 17 2010 at 9:13am

Just got a new Apex controller and now I am trying to setup my lunar simulation module and don't really understand what to do.

I have it plugged into my EB8 (003) Outlet 7 using the Moon program. However, I currently have this manually switched to ON. I get a green steady light on the lunar simulator. I have seen the green light flash a few times, and the LEDs have flashed when initially powered on.  But other than that the LEDs are not on.

I think the problem is associated with the module setup for the lunar simulator. I have tried to "add" the lunar simulator as a module (add module > lunar simulator > B01). When I go back and view modules it is not listed. I have looked at the "delete modules" as well and it isn't there either. Only the display (001) and EB8 (003) show.

Not exactly sure I have the on/off right on the switches for the simulator either (off up, on down?).

Helpy please ????
Home of the baby Picasso!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluespotjawfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 11:33am
No one got nothin'?
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 11:47am
Try sending thefu a PM. He is pretty up on the Apex Controllers.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 12:09pm
First, go and download the latest software for the unit from the neptune site and follow the instructions in the readme.txt file. If you have done this, move on...

OK, so my assumption is that you have the lunar sim module from neptune. 

Assuming this is correct, you need to obviously plug it into one of the bus connectors of the EB8. You need to note the address of the lunar sim module based on the instruction manual.

The power for the lunar sim does NOT need to plug into the EB8. The EB8 will control the lights using the bus cable.

On the apex (easiest to do on the PC connected to the apex and use the web interface but its not required), select "Add Module", then select the drop down and select "Lunar Module", in the box to the immediate right, enter the address you noted above from the module, click on "Add Module".

If you do not have the unit connected to the Bus or you do not enter the correct address as indicated from the switches (and it must be unique from the other modules) then it will not be recognized...this is what I am assuming is your issue.

Once you have the module recognized, then you simply need to go in to "Outlet" setup and confirm the programming of "If Moon 000/000 Then ON" is in the bottom box.

That should do it.

I do not have one of these, but it seems to me your issue is the bus connection and/or the addressing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluespotjawfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 12:35pm
I agree that my issue is probably related to the bus connection or addressing.

Firmware - Already current 4.01 version
Yes - I have the Lunar simulation module from neptune
Bus connectors - Hum - Unit is connected into the Aquabus port, this goes to the "control in" on the lunar module.  Is that what you mean?
Not sure what you mean by the power.  I unplug it completely? and it gets power/info through the aquabus port?
Not connected to the PC, but I have had na ACJR and understand how to slect the add module part.  Not sure how I get the address.  I entered it as B02.
Not sure I know on/off on the switches, but I suppose I should try reversing them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluespotjawfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 12:44pm
I believe the primary problem I am having is adding the module.  I "add" the module and it doesn't accept it.  It is a scroll down option menu and I don't know how I could mess that up.  It doesn't show up in the list of modules after I add it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluespotjawfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 12:53pm
I now have it plugged into the wall (eliminating the E8).

I have also reversed the switches in case I had them in the opposite position.

Green light, no flashing.
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 1:08pm
That is because you either do not have the bus cable connected to it or the address is wrong.

That is what I think.

If you have the lunar sim power plugged into the EB8 that can also be an issue because the state of that outlet may not be "on" constantly.

Please confirm:

- Running the latest firmware (AF09 or BA09)
- Bus cable is plugged into Lunar Sim and port on EB8
- Power of lunar sim is plugged into outlet (not EB8)
- The address of the "switches" on the Lunar Sim (ex. C3)
- The Address (ex. C3) in the data entry box on in the Apex set up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluespotjawfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 2:57pm
- Running the latest firmware (AF09 or BA09)
AquaController Apex Revision (4.01- 11/4/09) - This is the version that shows on Neptune's site and is the same as what my controller says it has.

- Bus cable is plugged into Lunar Sim and port on EB8
Bus cable is plugged into the Lunar Sim "control in" port and the apex controller "control" port.  There isn't a way to plug it into the EB8.  The EB8 only has USB ports.  The Apex controller is connected to the EB8 with USB cable. 

- Power of lunar sim is plugged into outlet (not EB8)
Yes, plugged into wall

- The address of the "switches" on the Lunar Sim (ex. C3) -
B1 is what I think I have it set at. (B01 is not a choice).  May have the dib switches backwards, but I have swapped it in case I did.

- The Address (ex. C3) in the data entry box on in the Apex set up.
B01 is what I think it is set at. (B1 is not a choice)
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 3:11pm
OK, the "USB" connectors are not USB connectors...they are the aquabus. Never plug them into any PC or USB device.

That said, you are right that you need to use the RJ11 jack on the main control unit. I forgot that this is a legacy device.

Try resetting the unit (network menu) - I have read that this sometimes is necessary when adding modules.

Does the Lunar module show up in the outlets?

Did you check the programming?  You add minutes to the lunar cycle to get them to turn on for moonrise (the first number) and moonset (the second number) 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluespotjawfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 3:28pm
What unit do I reset ?  I have unplugged the lunas simulator from both the controller and the power to the wall.  And, my power went out today so does that reset the controller itself?

I've tried to setup a module for this, but it doesn't seem to take it.

I have setup an outlet Lunar_B1, advanced programming, moon...but currently I have it set to ON. Outlet 7_3 on my EB8 is also set up for the moon cycle.  Programming is pretty straigthforwards "If Moon 000/000 Then ON"  Again, for now this is set to ON, but the unit isn't plugged into it anymore.

I now have 3 modules showing on the Apex since the power went out:
Disp_1 Adr 01 1.07 UNP
Disp_2 Adr 02 1.07 OK
EB8_3 Adr 03 1.07 OK

I think the first one is just replicating my display and should be deleted, but maybe it is trying to be the Lunar Module.  When I tried to set up the Lunar Module though I selected Lunar Simulator and B02 very specifically. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluespotjawfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 3:30pm
BTW, your tank cam is really cooL!
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 3:35pm
Reset happens from the network menu on the LCD display.

I do not know if setting it to "ON" is a valid state since it is also supposed to adjust intensity. Try changing 000 to something that when added to the lunar moonrise for today would have them be in the on state. You should not need any outlet set up for lunar cycle. That is for people who simply use their LED moonlights and want to take advantage of the APEX lunar calendar but without the dimming.

The extra display is probably a fluke...try a reset or delete the module that says UNP.

Thanks for the props on the cam...its easier to do than most people think.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluespotjawfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 4:27pm

I still can't find anything on the display or in the manual about how to reset the apex controller.  I deleted the extra display module.  Without disconnecting everything I can't attach this back to the computer.  The display only allows the wizard setup for the moon cycle which is 000/000. 

This is a quote from RC responding to my request for help:  "The lunar sim manual shows that if the switch is up it is off and down it is on.  Adding a lunar module will not show up in the list under 'Apex Module List'. Those are only Aquabus items.  You will see it in the Delete outlet drop down list and also in your Outlet Configuration."

Although I have no idea where that info is in the manual, this is true.  I deleted the outlets titled Lunar_A01 and Lunar_B01.  Then added a Lunar Module with the A01 address.  I went back to outlets and there is a Lunar_A01 there.  I changed the dip switches accordingly and just plugged it all back in and it is working Clap

Thanks for all your help and patience!

thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 4:32pm
To reset you must use the display on the unitself, not the web interface. You then go to the Setup/Network Setup menu and scroll all the way down...I think its on the second page so you have to scroll down.

That makes sense on the modules since the lunar sim is a legacy item. 

You should be able to scroll down to those values and change them (use the center button and then the up/down), even on the LCD.

I STRONGLY suggest getting a wireless gaming bridge and connect it to the system so you can access it from your in house wireless network (assuming you have one).

If you do that, I can walk you through how to access it from outside your house so you can monitor and change things when you are away.
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 4:56pm
working now?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic