Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To keep or not to keep?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Roosterfx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roosterfx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To keep or not to keep?
    Posted: January 18 2010 at 1:08am
So i just recently started my first tank and had my very first problem. The live rock that I have started to grow aptasia. I did my research (mostly on this site) and realized there were many different ways to address the problem. I wanted to stick will a more natural way of dealing with this and decided to go with some peppermint shrimp. When i went to the LFS i was talked into getting a threadfin butterfly. By the next day all the aptasia (about thirty) were gone. I realize that I cannot keep this fish long term because corals are the main reason i got into this hobby. He has not messed with any of the frags that i have..... yet. But has killed a hermit or two. So my questions are.....  Will the aptasia soon be back? If so how soon? Do I keep this fish for just a little longer, or should i try to get rid of him and get a peppermint or two to keep this problem under control? 

Thanks 
Roosterfx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roosterfx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 1:10am
Any info on Berghia Nudibranch would be great to.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 1:18am
Berghia wont do you any good in this situation. They require tons of aptasia to feed on. I would get a couple pf pepermints for long term control.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 1:18am
Sell him and get a few peppermint shrimp. That's what I'd do. 
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Roosterfx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roosterfx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 1:29am
I know there can be a lot of confusion on the true aptasia eating peppermint (Lysmata wurdemanni). Do you know where its a guarantee to get the right ones. Either a LFS or another member.
Scott Walsh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Walsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 1:33am
I got mine from Fish 4 U and they worked great.  I don't know if you can ever get a guarantee on that kind of thing, though.  Still, I agree with Dion and Ben.  Sell the fish and get some peppermints.  They will eat all kinds of stuff, so they will stay alive to clean up any aptasia that pops up in the future.
(801) 403-4006.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 12:10pm

Welcome to the WMAS,

Peppermint Shrimp would have been our first choice for your situation. Butterflyfish cannot be trusted. This one has already cleaned up some Hermits. Not good. Any moment now it could turn to eating coral and ruin a nice display. I would suggest removing it immediately and adding a few Peppermint Shrimp. The Aiptasia will return. There is no doubt of that, because the Butterfly cannot entirely eradicate Aiptasia. Even with a Butterflyfish, Peppermint Shrimp are needed, because only they can reach into the tiny holes that the last remnants of Aiptasia are living in.

Depending on the LFS, I can guarantee that letting them talk you into something like this is just going to lead you into trouble. I have nothing against LFS giving advice, but a hobbyist has to make their own decisions based on facts and also need to understand what is driving the "advice" they are getting from the various sources. Geek

Here at the WMAS we have no ulterior motives. Smile We are not trying to sell anything. Our advice is simply given out of the hope that we can help others avoid the problems we have personally experienced or have seen others struggle with.

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 18 2010 at 12:22pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic