Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Fish have Ich and Garlic isn’t helping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
acerob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acerob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Fish have Ich and Garlic isn’t helping
    Posted: October 01 2004 at 8:40am

Now what? 

I have a Yellow Tang and an Ocellaris clown that both have ich.  none of my other fish appear to have it.  I've been feeding brine shrimp and flake food that have been soaking in some garlic extreame.  Both fish are eating well and very active so I'm not really worried about them dying soon, I'd just like to get rid of it.

Any suggestions??

Highland, UT

12g Nano

90g Reef
Kull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2004 at 9:46am

Do you have a UV steralizer on the tank , if not I would look into getting one, it will help to reduce the future risk.

Also cleaner shrimp help to control pests.

"So this is what gives meaning to your life." -Unknown

Daniel in Santaquin
Jewnyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewnyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2004 at 9:48am
Acerob,

Now, I am not an expert in this field by any means, what I am about to share with you worked for me, some of the things might be "wrong" to do but I did them anyway with successful results.  Take it or leave it, but it worked for me.  Now I must mention, that when I did this, I did not have any type of corals in there.

Here it goes:

First I slowly raised the temperature of the water to about 84 degrees, I did the "garlic remedy" and I did this for 5 days straight, within two days or so, the ich was gone off the fish, not out of the tank, but off the fish.  I went to Fish 4 U, and I bought "Ick Attack" which is an organic (no copper) ick medicine, as well as a cleaner shrimp.  I treated with this for 3 days, all while lowering the temperature back down to normal.  Once the temp was at normal, I waited a day then I did a huge water change, like 17 gallons out of a 46 gallon bowfront.  My fish are doing well now and once a week I put a drop of garlic into their food just for good measure, that has since gone to once every two weeks.  As stated above, it might not work for everyone, but it worked for me.  Hope this helps.
"Your worst enemy could be your best friend, and your best friend your worst enemy"
[email protected] Sandy, UT
acerob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acerob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2004 at 10:57am

thanks.

I've been gifing garlic for about a week and I do have a cleaner shrimp.  I haven't noticed any real improvement, but I also haven't really noticed it getting worse.  I have done 30 gallon water change in the last week.  so I'll have to try the temp boost.

Edited by acerob
Highland, UT

12g Nano

90g Reef
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic