Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

? ATI Sunpower

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by DanhNgo DanhNgo wrote:

Ryan

actually it's 60" tank. If it's 50 I would get the icecap reef illumination fixture. Marine depot has them on sale.

You could go with a 48" fixture over that tank. You will only leave 6 inches on each end with lower light levels. Some people don't like that but I don't mind it. Unless you have rock and corals all the way to the glass there is no reason to run a fixture the whole length of a tank.
jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2010 at 12:47am
I run a 5' light on a 6' tank with no problem 
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2010 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

Originally posted by Jeffs_little_ocean Jeffs_little_ocean wrote:

Oh yeah. My point is that I would rather have a light that I can have on from the time I get up in the morning until late evening without frying the crap out of my corals =))

I think that is WAY too long to leave lights on for. I leave mine for 8 hours at the most. Heck my MH is only on for 6.5 hours right now and has been for a couple weeks. When I get my sunpower lights will be on for maybe 10 hours including the dusk/dawn effect.

You have to remember that corals only get blasted by full light for a very short period of time and that light isn't always hitting the exact same spot of the coral like it does in tanks with MH.

My actinics come on around 6 am until 8 pm for a 14 hour cycle.
My Halides come on around 8 am until 4 pm for an 8 hour cycle.

My tank looks the best between noon and 4 when everything is fully open.  I wish I could leave the halides on longer. Had some friends over for dinner the other night, and they were commenting on how good the tank looked and all I was thinking was too bad you couldnt have seen things 2 hours ago.

I have a feeling if I go to a super high power T5 fixture like TEK or ATI, I will have to shorten the light duration, and I would rather figure out a way to lengthen it.
Life is good....right?
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2010 at 11:35am
You can run some actinics to lower the overall PAR and that will allow you to run the lights a little longer.

No matter what fixture you went with you would have to acclimate the corals properly. Going from MH to T5 is a big jump for most corals. T5 puts out a much more even PAR throughout the tank. MH has hot spots and when you start getting off center the PAR drops. Even with good reflectors on the MH, T5 puts out a more even PAR.

So the corals get hit with more light and from all angles instead of just one point source.

I think you are too worried about it though, to be honest.
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2010 at 5:34pm
Nah, Im not worried about it. I worry about things like power outages while im at work, or my thermostat on my heater sticking on all night and stuff like that. Lighting...not so much.
Life is good....right?
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2010 at 9:31pm
I finally put my order in at ReefGeek for 60" 10X80 watt power module.  My wife has okayed the purchase. I'm going to ReefGeek in March to pick it up. I'm excited to change out my MH for T5.  I'm counting down the days. Big smile

200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2010 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by DanhNgo DanhNgo wrote:

I finally put my order in at ReefGeek for 60" 10X80 watt power module.  My wife has okayed the purchase. I'm going to ReefGeek in March to pick it up. I'm excited to change out my MH for T5.  I'm counting down the days. Big smile

that is going to be one awesome light
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2010 at 5:37pm
I'm going to be selling my ATI light that is a 60" version with 6 bulbs here shortly if anyone is interested pm me, oh also has the ati bulbs
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 10:00pm
Just got back from California at ReefGeek. What an awesome place. It was Christmas in March. I'd finally picked up my ATI Powermodule 10 x 80 Watts. It installed now and it looks awesome. I love my T5.
200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 10:03pm
lets see some pictures!
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 10:24pm
Here's the picture. It's a little high because don't want to burn my coral.

200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 10:27pm
What size of tank is that? It looks nice! GOOD JOB
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 10:29pm
It's 187 ish. 60Lx24Hx30W
200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 10:37pm
Yeah Dan that tank looks awesome =)  have you posted a pic of it in the aquarium picture thread yet?
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 10:42pm
Nick. Not yet. I need to take out my camera and take some good picture of it. Maybe I'll do it this weekend.

I'm still looking for some neting to make the top cover. I need 2 2'x2'. do you know where I can get a hold of some?

Thanks,
Danh
200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic