Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Help with Glass Aquarium Repair!!!!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Help with Glass Aquarium Repair!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted: February 06 2010 at 7:27pm
Need some recommendation for repairing my new tank. I just bought a used 210 gallon tank while moving it into the house we hit one of the corners and crack the glass. It is only in the seam on the front pane. I think I could get away with just resiliconing the inside and outside of the tank in that spot but was wondering if I should use something like whatever they use to repair glass windshields first then silicone for extra measures? Does anyone know what is used for repairing windshield and where I might find some?

Thank you!
Arthur

Here are some pictures.
http://s837.photobucket.com/albums/zz300/arthur_iv/Broken%20210%20gallon%20tank/

Edited by arthuriv - February 14 2010 at 1:21am
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2010 at 8:33pm
ugh, take a pic where the crack is?
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2010 at 8:39pm
Crack or chip? Chip I might be able to sleep at night. Crack....not so much so. Checker and Auto zone carry windshield repair kits. However the forces present when a tank is full with water is not even close to the same as on a windshield.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2010 at 11:35pm
Updated with link to pictures
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2010 at 11:55pm
Oh boy, Art... I don't think you can fix that without replacing whole glass panels Ouch
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2010 at 12:02am
Wow that sucks. That was my worst fear when bringing my 200 down the stairs. Bob is right. You need a new glass panel.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2010 at 12:54am
That front panel is gone for sure. The crack is above your seam and through the panel. With all the weight of 210 gallons of water... Cry

The other question would be the other 2 panels that connect to it. It looks like they took some damage as well in some of the pics, but hard to see how much since you were focused on those larger cracks. You'd want to find that out before you looks at replacement panels just to be on the safe side.

I feel for you. That's not fun at all.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Jody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2010 at 6:02pm
I had a 200 gal. tank once that split the seam down one side. The dollars in livestock I lost and the clean-up was a nightmare! Not worth the risk I would say to try and repair it.   Jody
75 gal Reef Tank

45 gal Sump

jamie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2023 at 1:24am
I had a similar situation with a cracked glass tank, and I understand how concerning it can be. In my experience, using a cracked windshield repair kit can be a great solution. These kits are specifically designed to repair cracks in glass and provide a strong, reliable fix. You can find a variety of windshield repair kits at CrackEraser https://crackeraser.com/collections/all-windshield-repair-kits. By applying the kit's specialized tools and resins, you can reinforce the cracked area before applying silicone to seal it. This dual approach can provide extra measures of support and help prevent further damage. If you're unsure about the process, it's always a good idea to consult a professional or someone experienced in tank repairs. Best of luck with fixing your tank!
jjjjjjj
JAMIE123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAMIE123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2023 at 8:31am
Hey Arthur, dealing with a cracked tank can be a real challenge. While you're on the right track with resealing, it's important to use materials specifically designed for aquariums. Silicone sealants formulated for aquarium use will ensure the safety of your aquatic environment. When it comes to your idea of using windshield repair materials, it's best to stick with aquarium-safe options to avoid any potential harm to your aquatic life. For your tank repair, I'd recommend focusing on using a reliable aquarium silicone sealant to properly reseal the cracked area. If you're seeking a successful solution that aligns with your aquarium's well-being, you might consider checking out resources like Crack Eraser's windshield crack repair kit (crackeraser.com). However, ensure it's suitable for aquariums before applying it. If you're unsure, consulting experienced aquarists or forums might provide valuable insights. Your dedication to your tank's well-being is commendable, and I hope your repair turns out successful!
jamie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic