Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

14g Bio Cube Build - New Modifications

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 11:21pm
Looks nice, man.  Do you really get enough flow without the koralia?  Is the branching coral in the back right a kenya tree?  Your gsp looks a lot better than mine.  That candy cane looks nice, too.  Have you thought about a condo and another jawfish?
Todd
14g nano mixed reef project
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 11:29pm
Yeah, I seem to get plenty of flow..  I pulled out the koralia because I have a Maxijet 900 in the back of my tank (with that alone I am getting a 17x turnover), and with both the MJ and the KN on my little clowns had a really hard time swimming haha...

Once I took out my KN my corals also got a lot bigger than they were, so its seemed to help everything out quite a bit.

The branching coral in the back right is a brown finger leather (I think) it recently started growing a lot

I wanted another Jawfish, but I think that will have to wait since I bought a bi-color blenny, dunno if I can risk putting it in the tank, my wife would be really upset if another one died (they are her favorite)

Here's a picture of the corals

Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 11:45pm
I forgot you had the MJ900.  Did you ever bypass the elbow into the display?  Did that increase your flow?

Isn't the reddish-brown one the finger leather?  I have one just like it. 

Does the blenny hide in holes like the jawfish?  I had a yellow watchman goby and a red scooter blenny that completely ignored each other.

Edited by Mad Dawg - May 18 2010 at 11:46pm
Todd
14g nano mixed reef project
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 11:53pm
I haven't messed around with the elbow, but I think this week I am going to bypass the elbow to increase more flow, plus I am going to install a loc line with a T on it to push the water in both directions.  Also I might buy a 50/50 bulb just to help my coral growth instead of two actinic, even though I love the color

Edited by Ahanix - May 18 2010 at 11:55pm
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2010 at 12:09pm
So a couple of weeks have passed, but this is probably the largest update that I have had with the tank.  Gaining on 4 months with this tank, i'm amazed with how much has changed, but also how much stuff I have changed around LOL

Here's my mod list for the last couple of weeks

1-

Removed 2" of sand from the bottom of the tank, I probably will remove another inch, but I will do that when I do another water change. 

This gave me close to a whole extra gallon of water in my tank.

I am still playing with the idea of doing a barebottom tank, but since my sand hasn't been blowing around so far, I think i'll just leave it how it is.

2-

Added a Loc Line Y Splitter with 3 Links for Each Side

This diverted the flow of the Maxijet 900, removing a couple dead spots I had in my tank, but seemed to make my flow go down a lot more than I like

3-

Added a Koralia Evolution Nano 425 (Same Size as the Koralia Nano, but pushes 425GPH)

I did a bit of research, and even though my Koralia Nano was pushing my tank a bit harder than it should, I decided to give this a try.  Surprisingly enough, this created the perfect amount of turbulence for my tank, and now gives most of my corals a decent wave, rather than blowing in one direction, they rock back and forth.  

I now no longer have any extreme dead spots like I did, which was causing my cyano outbreak.

4 - 

And last but not least, I finally finished my LED build, I made another post for the build thread, but I figured I would post again just to show what a huge difference it is making, I probably will place some screening to help acclimate my corals better to the lighting, but after a day underneath the LED's my corals have opened up a lot more than they did with the power compact lighting.

Before

After

bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2010 at 1:26pm
Looks great! very nice color.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic