Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Refugium harvesting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kahuna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kahuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refugium harvesting
    Posted: April 09 2003 at 9:40pm

How do I know when to harvest my calerpa (sp)?  It is starting to get some cyno (sp) on top and am wondering if its just too thick?

Thanks for feedback

Cell 801 860-7333
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 1:14am

Kirk

I guess nobody wants to answer you so here is my response. You're probably wondering why I hadn't responded sooner! For a few days I didn't check the board and I guess your post got lost behind so many others.

My experience is to cull it back to half the area of the sump then spread it out. Harvesting at 2-3 weeks is better than 4-8 weeks. If a lot is taken out at once, other algaes may be able to come in and compete. (this happened to me and started a hair algae bloom) If it is allowed to fill the sump, it cuts out the light and slows growing so that cyanobacteria starts to grow on top(which isn't really all that bad in the short run).

It's also very important to grow a variety of alga other than Caulerpa. I was disappointed to hear that the red stuff you got from me last year had disappeared.

Does anyone have any of the brown sargassum that came in on Fiji LR.

Jon, you are from Fiji, do you have any? I need a small sprig.

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 9:24am
Quote: Originally posted by Mark Peterson on 16 April 2003

Jon, you are from Fiji, do you have any? I need a small sprig.

Nope, I'm only in Fiji on weekends ;)  It's the old ball and chain during the week.

I do have a very small bunch of halamedia though.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic