Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

55 Gallon Started

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2010 at 9:37am
There are differing opinions regarding flow but the latest recommendations is to get the flow all going the same direction. That way the currents are working together and you maximize your flow with minimum equipment. The rock in the tank creates the turbulence as the water impacts the rock. The ideal method is to get the gyre going for several hours and then to reverse the gyration. To do this you need a 2 sets of power heads or some other method of diverting the water flow so that it reverses direction. This isn't always necessary especially in smaller tanks. In my 28G Nano I get the gyre going top to bottom instead of around the sides. My returns are below the surface pointing upward to agitate the surface water. Flow goes across the top of the tank down the front and back across the bottom. It doesn't really matter which direction the gyration goes (horizontal or vertical) just get all the water going in the same direction.

I am also using this method in my 55 Gallon Frag system. In that tank I create a gyre that goes around the tank like a whirlpool instead of top to bottom and the frags have responded nicely to the increased flow.

I should mention that turbulence is also important, strictly laminar flow or flow all going in the same direction is not preferred. Turbulence is created in the gyre as the currents impact the rock and other stationary parts of the reef. That is why having multiple caves, and openings in the rock is important. The water needs to be diverted as it travels around the tank thus creating turbulence even though the power heads are all pushing water in the same direction.

Edited by bfessler - March 13 2010 at 12:53pm
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by bur01014 bur01014 wrote:

So I want the flow going in a circular motion?  I thought I read somewhere to have the powerheads angled towards the upper middle front glass panel, causing a bouncing of the water off the glass producing the best flow......guess I will re-adjust and try to get them to make a whirlpool effect...

Here is a good article on flow and the reason for using the Gyre

Burt

[email protected]
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 5:18pm
Awesome, I didn't know that.  I've been pushing the water against itself in my biocube, maybe i'll try throwing the power below where the return is to get the water flowing better.  Thanks for the info Burt.
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 6:21pm
bfessler,

You are going to think I am really stupid, but looking at my pictures and how my rocks are placed on the back wall, how should i place my powerheads to get gyro going?  The article suggested towards the surface.....having both up there seems like no movement would get down below, especially lower in the tank on backside of rocks and caves....maybe you u check up my pictures and give a more detailed description of where and how to point the darn things....
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2010 at 9:58am

No problem.

You can make the gyre go either horizontal or vertical the only thing that matters is that the water all be going the same direction. In my Nano which is a cube I have the water going in a vertical gyre or across the top down the front and back across the gravel. In my 55 I use a horizontal gyre which is more like a whirlpool.

Looking at your rock stack I can't tell if there is any room behind the rock. This isn't absolutely necessary but if you can keep at least portions of the rock off the back wall it will allow the water to circulate behind the rock better. As far as pointing the power-heads I would position the one on the right so that it is just above the top of your rock pointed slightly upward (maybe so that if you drew a line through the output to the left corner the line would touch the surface). On the right side I would place the power head about 1/2 way down on the back wall close to the right corner and pointed toward the front glass (maybe just Little to the left as well. This will allow the water to flow straight across the back wall then across the right side and across the front back to the left power head.

Again you may have to play with it to get the best circulation you can. In my frag tank I am not so concerned with how it looks so I put one power-head on the left rear corner pointing across the back and one on the right front corner pointing across the front.

Hope this helps.

Edited by bfessler - March 19 2010 at 10:00am
Burt

[email protected]
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 6:44pm
Okay- one week down.....tank is looking really ugly.  Have lots of diatoms and can see small green hair algae growing on rocks and glass.  Ammonia has peaked and is falling, nitrite is peaking.  Anyways, nothing in the tank yet, but what to do about the algae?  Should I be cleaning it off the glass or not?  I worry if I don't it may get harder to clean as time goes by?  I am also worried because will be leaving out of town for a week on monday....who knows what my tank will look like when I get back?  Should I be worried?  Should I lower the amount of time my lights are on?  What is suggested about hours of light?  Also, should I just let it get really ugly and assume it will go away on its own with a little help of a CUC?  Sorry, so many questions, but it is almost embarrassing how ugly it looks.  My wife thinks I am clueless about what I doing, which I am.  Big smile

Anyways, hopefully after I get back in town after a week it will be ready for some crabs and snails....I would also like some advice on the fish I am interested in.  Keep in mind I am a novice so if my tank isn't large enough, fish aren't reef safe, fish are difficult to keep, or if they aren't compatible, please let me know.   This list is solely on what I like to look at so far!

Fish List-
Blue Tang (maybe too big for 55?)
Red Flame (dwarf angel I believe)
Dwarf Lionfish (reef safe? probably need gloves to deal with him)
Clownfish (seems like a good starter fish to see if I can keep water decent)

That is it....can I stock them together in a 55?  Or would it be overstocked?  Any advice is appreciated on my thousand random questions!Ugly brown tank....
fishoutawater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 7:10pm
A small blue tang(hippo) would be ok for a while, it will become much too large though.
Flame angel is great but is hit and miss as far as it nipping corals.
Dwarf lion, very cool, but might eat up everything you put in for a cuc.
Clowns are fun to watch and easy to keep.
Some day, when I grow up,...

bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 7:34pm
wow....looks like clown might be the only for sure fish then...
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 10:26pm
I say go for the lion! I've seen dwarf lions in reefs plenty of times. Trick is to train him properly and you won't have to many issues. Teach him that the snails are not food by putting in empty shells this tends to frustrate them and teach them that nothing is in there. Also train him to eat frozen and that you are where the food comes from and unless he is starving he won't go looking to hard for food. The only things that you won't be able to put in with him are fish small enough that he can eat them, and shrimp. Although some people have reported training small juvie dwarfs to not eat cleaners by A. Getting the lion when a juvie, and B. getting a cleaner to big for him to eat. Once its established that the shrimp is a friend supposedly he won't it eat.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 10:44pm
Ya, the lion is what I really want.....I might have to try him.  So do they only eat live when bought? Is training him to eat frozen food all about the 2 week fast i hear about?  Also, I failed to mention, I have no lid on my tank....as you can see light fixture is suspended above water and it is open....is this a problem for these fish?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic