Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Online retailers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SmokeyBear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Online retailers?
    Posted: March 18 2010 at 10:23am
I was thinking with so many people here on the forum, it might be nice to share where people are buying things that aren't bought at LFS. It would also be good to see where not to buy from. Almost like our own report card system. I know I have bought from 3 different online places and had good results at each. We could have a database for those that have free shipping after a certain amount was spent, others that have sweet corals/fish but never have free shipping. Those that have a good WYSIWYG section.. Stuff like that.

Would also be good to know if some places have sent you things in your shipment you don't want. Like Zoa killing nudis or sundial snails or red bugs or hair algae.

Or is this too much to ask?   I know lots of people like to keep their reef secrets just that.. secret... 

Edited by SmokeyBear - March 18 2010 at 10:23am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2010 at 5:22pm
Ok, I'll start this off, since 41 people have read it and nobody has posted a reply..

I think it's a great idea! Here it goes.

I have bought from Petco.com before. They usually have a pretty good selection. They have free shipping on live fish orders over $175. They can have some killer deals as for prices, like right now they have Blue Hippo Tangs for like $26, and Yellow Tangs for like $17!
Their online selections are much better than what's available in the stores, and the livestock looks better than what was in the store. Live rock is fairly cheap too, even with shipping it's less than $3.50 a lb. I've never had a DOA so I don't know how their policy is on that.  All in all, I would recommend them to a friend.

I have bought about half a dozen times from an eBay retailer. Aquatic Collection out of Hayward California. He usually has sweet corals from Zoas and Acros to Clams and Acans. Shipping is a bit of a bear since you have to pay it no matter what. You can use a Buy It Now option and get free shipping if you BIN on 4 items, but they are usually pretty steep, each additional coral is $6 to the free shipping corals. There is an $8 box fee, but he packages things really really good. I've never had a DOA, but I did have two die within his 5 day guarantee and he happily replaced those corals at no cost to me.  I like to use him because I can use PayPal to pay, and I earn eBay bucks with each purchase. If you decide to use a BIN price you can always use Bing cash back and save 8%, and if you pay with your discover card, you earn an extra 5% cash back for using your card online. Every little bit adds up. I really like his corals though. Seller name is Josephlee17, and has 100% positive feedback and has received 7500 feedback. ZERO negative out of 7500 auctions is quite a feat.

Anyone else have a story to share? Good or bad?

jmorrell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmorrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2010 at 7:04pm
I have bought a lot of stuff from saltwaterfish.com
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2010 at 8:51pm
I purchased a bunch of stuff from http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com recently and was more than pleased with it. Pros: lots of life on the LR.  The LR is aquacultured, so no taking from the existing reefs.  Received way more stuff than I paid for.  The owner is really easy to work with, and he is one of the divers that harvests the stuff.  Cons: The only thing is that you have some bad hitchhikers on some of the life rock.

Also I have purchased on several occasions from http://www.marinedepot.comPros: They have a good selection of dry goods, and free shipping on orders over 175.00.  I did have an issue with light burning out in a week on a lighting system I purchased.  They sent me a new bulb, no questions asked.  Cons: ??

----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 12:34pm
I too have purchased from Marinedepot.com and I was also happy. They had fast shipping. I used their "Bill me later" thing for the first time and my entire order was free through a promotion, I got some chemicals and an Algae Free float Mag all for free! 
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 5:59pm
I really try to buy locally! I think the lfs in salt lake need to have more sales and group orders with a small profit margin!
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 6:21pm
I would totally prefer to buy local. But some LFS think that $20 for a Condy and $100 for an RBTA are good prices.

I've even seen Ricordias for $40 a head before.. Where do you draw the line? If they aren't going to sell for what their competition can sell to me for, why should I give them my business? I really like Reef Runners in Orem because his prices are more in line with what I am willing to pay, however his selection is fairly small, and his hours are a bit wonky.
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2010 at 9:35am
In their defense, If the coral is rare (exotic) I will pay the price! But the common ones should be reasonably priced which will eventually help their business and raise traffic through the store.

Edited by bugzme - March 21 2010 at 9:37am
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2010 at 1:56pm
I think that it is important to support LFS, but sometimes they do not carry the items people want and at the prices that are reasonable.  In those cases I feel that using an online store is justified.  However, it is important to support (purchase items and provide good feedback) any LFS that is in your area as best as possible.  Also to clarify my comment about reasonable prices, I don't mind paying a little bit more at an LFS over using an online store, but sometimes it is the difference of 20.00 or more on items.  When comparing it is important to note that although the price may seem lower than at the LFS, there are other hidden charges such as shipping/handling that need to be considered.
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2010 at 6:58pm
I always think of the health of the coral. I always worry that when I buy an exotic frag from online retailers that the frag could die 2 days later and they don't want to talk to you they already have your money! (always your fault) If I find a frag in the local lfs that I want I will pay the price knowing that I can always go back to them. ( They always try to help if there is a problem) Just my $.02's
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2010 at 12:29pm
When you buy online most times they are from places in Cali, So they can just walk down the street and pick it up then list it on there site and sell it.
For us stores inland we have to pay freight to get it here.
on top of freight we pay $5.00-$10.00 just for the box it was shipped in. So on average it will cost $250-300 just to get the fish/corals to Utah, So that has to get averaged into the prices on top of losses.
This is why we almost can never compete with online places, They have low to no over head unlike us walk in stores.
I would say support the people who support you, Remember you get to walk into our stores look at the items before hand and decide size,shape,color,health, unlike online you get shipped what ever or in some cases things that look nothing like the picture you saw. This is Also why you are starting to see Manufactures going with Map pricing, So it will cost the same online as in stores, In some cases the prices will be raised.

Edited by FIRE SHRIMP - March 26 2010 at 12:33pm
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

providence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote providence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2010 at 4:57am
I can get wholesale from marinr depot and a company in slc called blue sky pet supply and 2 little fishes I love it but kinda hard I dont go to SLC much but for logan to ogden can work great.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic