Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New 75 project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 11:04am
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 9:13pm
Corey - the tank looks great!  Well done.

BTW - I'm guessing that being a perfectionist is a very desireable trait for a structural engineer!  Wink
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 1:51pm
I'm with Adam.  Fill that baby up and let's see that stand come to life (it looked nice in the sketch - not overdone).
90G Mixed Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 9:14pm
It holds water, and it doesn't leak. I wish the seams were perfect. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 9:15am
Drumroll please...

Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 9:52am
Corey,

What pump are you using? I would actually really like a pump that transfers a lot of heat to the water. I have an open top T5 system and my heater runs non stop to keep the tank at 76.5 degrees.

I need a pump that will only move like 250gph or so.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 1:59pm
Ryan,

I am using a Poseidon T4. I think there is a high pressure lower flow T3 that might flow less than 600 gph. You need some wattage to add heat, probably more than a 250 gph pump can produce.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 5:42pm
OK Corey, It has water and a light. What are you waiting for? Throw in some coral and fish. We want to see that baby come to life.Clown
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2010 at 7:51am
I bought the rough-sawn maple, some acrylic for the overflows and a new saw to build the stand.

I don't have pictures, unless someone wants pictures of scrap acrylic, some 6/4 maple and a table saw.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2010 at 11:40pm
I have the tools to build the stand now, so I'll start to post pics shortly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 9:48pm
Yes, the project is still going. I had to take a break for a few months from everything, and when I came back, this thread was moved and everything changed on the board! Progress coming soon.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2010 at 10:25am

Overflow weir is done. I notched the acrylic using the table saw and a jig I came up with. Shane Silcox's laser cutter was my second choice if the table saw jig hadn't worked, but it was fine and I don't have to bug Shane. Notice that the acrylic isn't black, but smoked. At first, I realized I grabbed smoked acrylic from the scrap bin, but I thought I could make this be a feature. I will be valving the drain and using a secondary backup drain, so I think this will be a great way to check levels. I am going to use 1" black PVC, so no problem seeing white PVC through the overflow.

If I get a wild hair, I will go and buy some black acrylic, though, and re-do it. I realized that the smoked will still let enough light through to grow stuff in the overflow. Also, the glue job wasn't the best on this one.

Corey

Edited by Corey Price - November 06 2010 at 10:28am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2010 at 6:46pm
I won two bags of black sand at the reef fest today, so I'm really tempted to use it... I need to do some research on that stuff for sure. I also won a bag of sugar-fine aragonite sand and a gift certificate to Air, Water, and Ice, which is where I bought my RO unit, so I can buy new stuff for it!

backwards32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 10:51am
I am really impressed.  I would love to build my own tank soon.  anyway you could teach me some of the tricks of the trade?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 10:55pm
It's all in the silicone joints, and good quality glass cut to exact size. I'm not the best at joints by all means.
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 12:58am
Corey,

I will trade you a bag or two of the black sand for that oolitic you won.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic