Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fabulous snails

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fabulous snails
    Posted: April 11 2003 at 3:28pm

A recent purchase of some Nassarius snails from The Pet Factory, next to Pier 1 across from Fashion Place Mall, revealed a fascinating organism.

I've only had them for a day. Jake suggested they were good detritovores.

This morning when I fed the tank, they emerged from the sand as through they were spring loaded. They just popped up! So they had been in the sand eating detritus and came out to see if they could find any bits of fresh food!

They are so cool, I think I'll buy some more, next time I'm at TPF! Thanks Jake!

rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2003 at 3:30pm
How much are they?
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2003 at 4:07pm

$.99

they are chestnut nassarius snails.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2003 at 9:54pm
 I will have to give some of these a try. I have had bad luck with snails.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2003 at 11:24pm

Coolest of the snails. I have some that come out almost on cue when I feed. Hundreds of dollars worth of corals and the thing my kids ask about are the elephant snails (with the trunks!)

That was the only thing my three year old could recognize when I was pointing out the snails (the siphon) I told her it was a trunk. She now calls them elephant snails.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 12:05am
Quote: Originally posted by jfinch on 15 April 2003

After getting a few narssaus snails from Jake, I'm rethinking the utility of my sand star.  Anyone have feelings regarding how much harm a star might be doing in a tank without a dsb (I've only got 1 inch of aragonite).

Jake, (or anyone else) I know we talked about the total number of snails needed but, do you think a pack of snails would work the sand as well as a star?

BTW, these guys are very fun to watch... they almost jump out of the sand bed and race around the tank looking for food.

It has been my understanding that Sand Sifting Stars eat the critters we would like to have in the sand. This understanding comes from the trusted experience of a former club president.

Nassarius snails are small but very fascinating and may be really beneficial to the tank.

Mark
John Fletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2003 at 2:16pm

"It has been my understanding that Sand Sifting Stars eat the critters we would like to have in the sand. This understanding comes from the trusted experience of a former club president." 

This is a true statement.  When Dr. Shimek gave his presentation to the club he stated this same thing.  I took my sand star out and within a week or so my sand bed was crawling with critters.  I have found that the sand bed looks better IMO.  I tell everyone that they don't need the sand stars.  I however recomend them in fish only tanks.  I also took the one out of my fish only at work and found it was harder to keep the sand clear of red slim.  The tank at work however is only a year old.  My reef tank at home is almost five years old.  I don't know if that has something to do with it.

rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2003 at 2:23pm
Aren't Nassarius snails omnivores?  I guess my thinking is aren't they eating basically the same good critters we like as a sand sifting star would be?
John Fletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2003 at 2:48pm

They are, but I guess my thinking is.  "I would rather have a small critter eating than a big mouth like a star." TIOMO

John Fletcher "ReefAquarist"

rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2003 at 3:02pm
True!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic