Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shayne's 90 Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 12:01am
I guess I should update this. I've been neglectful. Ouch

I added about 45 snails (15 astrea, 15 cirith, and 15 nerites) and 2 micro-hermits a couple weeks ago to start cleaning up my rocks and sand. I don't know what happened but I lost about 5 astrea and a couple of nerites within the first few days. Since then I've only had a single nerite snail die. All the others seem to be doing ok. They made a pretty good dent in the algae on my rock and sand but they still seem a bit overloaded so I'm probably going to pick up about 20 more snails and a couple more hermits tomorrow.

Other than that I've just been running my chaeto 24/7 while I try to get my algae under control.

Here are my parameters for anyone who cares:
Alk: 10 DKh
MG: 1280
CA: 480
SA: 1.026
Temp: 78

These next parameters are from a cheap fresh water test kit so I don't know how accurate they are:
NO3: ~5-15 ppm
PH: ~8.4

I don't have any PO4 tests so I don't know where I'm sitting on that one.

I added a small frag of leather coral a couple weeks ago and it seems to be doing pretty good. I also added some more live sand. Tonight I added another piece of live rock. This one has a small green and white mushroom on it. Smile

Anyway, on to the pics...

Edited by Shayne - May 11 2012 at 12:05am
21G Reefer Nano
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2012 at 7:12pm
Nice.
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2012 at 3:32pm
My tank is still coming along pretty nicely. I've been working on getting my parameters stable. Right now I'm dosing 1 tbs of baking soda every other day since my Alk dips faster than any of my others levels. I'm also adding 1 tbs of pickling lime to my 5 gallon ATO container whenever I top it off. This seems to be working pretty good so far. I'll probably get a 10 gallon ATO container pretty soon though. I'm tired of topping it off every 3 days.

I've added a few more snails and my rocks are pretty clean now, but my sand is still pretty dirty and covered in diatoms. The snails just don't seem able to keep up with it. I decided to get a cucumber so I picked one up from the classifieds section. Unfortunately I didn't realize there were two types of cucumbers and I ended up with one of the filter feeder types. He's a very pretty pink and green and at least he's somewhat interesting to watch. I haven't decided if I'll keep him or not. I still need to get a sand sifting cucumber. Unhappy

I added some frogspawn about a week ago. I got 3 heads on a single plug. So far it's looking really healthy and happy.

At this point I'm thinking about what kind of fish I want to add first. I'm having a really hard time deciding. I want some clowns but I want some of the more expensive black ice snowflakes. I'm pretty nervous about adding a pair of those and then having them turn belly up on me. I'd rather add something a bit less expensive first so I can at least sleep at night while I'm getting used to taking care of fish. I just don't know which type I should add. (Any suggestions?)

(Pics to come)
21G Reefer Nano
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
  Share Topic