Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James' 55g build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 7:44pm
Wow I did have forethought Mark and had read different reviews on whether to use live sand from a tank or buy new. But hey I guess I am a great example now!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
James View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 8:24pm
Haven't seen anymore Majano's today (juiced three tiny ones yesterday with white vinegar and they are moving towards the light...not my T5's).  I do have a large macro ball in my sump (thanks CapnMorgan).  I came home from work and there is a brown film on my sand which I assume is algae and I also assume is a good thing.  I checked my ammonia (0) and Total Ammonia (.1).  Is it time to get a clean up crew?

Jackie, just read your thread.  Bummer on the losses.  I didn't rinse my live sand but then again, mine is a brand new tank so there is not much to lose yet.  I'm pretty sure the Majano's came in on my LR, though, because I saw one (and even saved it from certain pump death because it was cool looking) before I had the LS.

Mark, thanks for the offer on the rock.  I will take you up on it hopefully tomorrow.
55g display with 55g sump/refug
4 bulb T5HO light
tank established 8/6/10
James View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 10:20am
Status update.  Here are some recent pictures taken with my phone so quality isn't the greatest.  I need to spend some time in the photography forum to figure out how to take some decent shots.  I have about 20 snails with 2 turbo snails and about 18 crabs including 2 emerald crabs working to get my brown and hair algae down.  They seem to be doing a decent job.  Hope to add my first fish next week.

Above is a mushroom and featherduster that have not only survived the whole cycling period and my movements of the rocks but seem to have continued to thrive and grow. 

One-armed crab with ?Kenya tree?

Neat looking zoas that have survived the cycling as well.

Overall pictures of tank at present.

Not sure if these guys are doing ok or not.  Since the last time I rearranged the rockwork they have had a green color on them which wasn't there in the first couple of weeks.  They were just a nice solid orange color originally.

Frogspawn that has really seemed to thrive over the past few weeks even with the tank cycling.  The little one on the side has probably quadrupled in size since when I firts grabbed it with the LR when I started the tank.  The top part didn't really have anything to it at first but has gradually been growing. 

That's all for now.

Edited pictures on 9/3/10

Edited by James - September 03 2010 at 10:40am
55g display with 55g sump/refug
4 bulb T5HO light
tank established 8/6/10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic