FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

on/off switch on ballast

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: on/off switch on ballast
    Posted: October 28 2004 at 3:26pm

Is it possible to build an on/off switch into your ballast so you don't have to unplug it to turn it off?

Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2004 at 3:34pm

try using a timer then you wont need a on/off switch..

Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2004 at 3:39pm
Yes it is possible.  But I still wish I had a timer to run the lights.  I get annoyed at times trying to turn the lights on and off every day.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2004 at 6:24pm

I plan on using a timer, but I was thinking about a switch for those times that I need to take the canopy off or show someone what it looks like with the lights off, or change a bulb, etc.  I don't want to be messing with the timers all the time. 

When I've gone to other peoples homes to see their aquariums, they have turned their lights off to show me something (for one reason or another).  Seems like a switch would come in handy.

dmanshep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmanshep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2004 at 6:29pm
Alot of timers have manual on off switches built into them.
reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2004 at 6:45pm
You can simply plug it into a six-way for now if you like, too.
www.captivereefing.com
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2004 at 8:31am
Amie, I have the timer you need that has a switch built into it. When I made that light for you, I should have explained how to use a timer with it. The last time I looked, these grounded timers were still $7 at HD. I bought 8 of them a month ago because that is the best price I've ever seen for a grounded timer.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2004 at 10:29am

I plan on using a timer.  I was just wondering if there was a way to install an on/off switch so I can keep the timer hidden and out of the way - afterall, this is the DIY forum. 

My husband's uncle is an electrician.  I'll ask him.  Thanks for all the input.

Mark, I'd like to see the timers you bought.  I was at home depot yesterday and didn't see any grounded ones. 

Amie

jglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2004 at 10:52am
Amie installing a switch is very easy and simple if you have the right equipment and setup.  did you manually do the wiring or did it come complete a pic of your ballast or info about it would help.  You can get switches from almost anywhere and you just need to place one on your negative line.  If you didn't do the wiring DIY style you will need to splice the wire and it will probably just be easier to do the timer thing.  but all you need to do is place a switch from radio shack i.e. on your negative.  If you need help someone should come visit you.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2004 at 11:28am

Fantastic - thanks Jaren.  I think I can do that - I will go to Radio Shack today!

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2004 at 11:34am
Everyone places their timers out of the way, but...the timer and all electrical plugs for that matter, also need to be close enough to work with. Believe me, an occasion will arise when you will be glad the plug was easy to reach.

I often hang a power strip(s) inside or on the unseen side of the stand. You've seen the one that I have on the floor that needs to be hung When I hang it, it will then be out of sight but close enough to work with.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic