Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tang Hostilities

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
acerob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acerob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tang Hostilities
    Posted: October 29 2004 at 2:32pm

I have had a Yellow Tang for the last couple of months. Yesterday I added a Regal Blue Tang.  The problems didn't start right away, but sometime this morning.  The Yellow started with a lot of posturing and then started becoming quite agressive with the little blue.  I've read and seen where Yellows and Purple's especially dont get along because of their similar body shapes, but havn't heard or seen any problems with these two.

Any Advice??

Highland, UT

12g Nano

90g Reef
pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2004 at 2:44pm
Tangs will usually fight with other tangs, and then most other fish. A couple of questions, How big is your tank? How long have you had the Yellow Tang?
Its been my experience that they'll fight for a while, but after some time (week maybe) they should settle down and get along. Then only small arguements every now and then. Keep the fish plenty full of food, and just give it time. Good luck with those two! I just got my Purple, Blue and yellow all used to each other.
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2004 at 2:47pm
It always takes some time for tangs to get along with each other. At least in my experance. Also my yellow tang is always the meanest one when adding other tangs.
I now have a purple, a kole and yellow all getting along.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

acerob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acerob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2004 at 7:20pm

pmpt

How big is your tank?
90 G + 30 g sump/refugia

How long have you had the Yellow Tang?
I've had the yellow for about 6 weeks.  Currently I have 2 Ocellaris, 2 Chromis, and the Tangs.

I've given them a big leaf of Nori, and have fed flake twice today,  it does seem like the hostilities are dying down, but every once and a while the Yellow comes over to assert his dominance.  I was considering adding a Yellow Eye Tang, to make it a non even number since I've heard that even numbers will often lead to more disputes, but I think I'll give it a couple of more days.  I am surprised that the blue hasn't hid somewhere waiting for the tide to pass.

Highland, UT

12g Nano

90g Reef
improdigal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2004 at 9:22pm

I was told to always keep tangs in odd numbers and more importantly to never add just one. ie...if you add one, add two. They'll buddy up

Patrick
pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2004 at 7:20am
If you want add a yellow eye tang, but I bet if you give it a while they'll be just fine. The Yellow Tang will always want to make sure the Blue tang knows whos boss. But they should do fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic