Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Duncan Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rbrinton2373 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbrinton2373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Duncan Question
    Posted: June 21 2010 at 3:15pm
I got a duncan form the frg fest last month and the first couple of day I had it, it seemed to have been doing well.  But since then I cannot seem to get it "bloom" I have tried it in different locations in my tank to try different current and light levels,  everything I have read indicates they should have low current and light.  but nothing I have tried seens to help.  I have adjusted the placement and directon of my heads and nothing seems to help.  once in a while it looks like it is trying to put out its little feelers but then sucks them back in.  Any help would be welcome.
Ryan
Semper Fi
60 gal cube w/39 gal Sump\
MH + T5s
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 4:25pm
Mine do fine in moderate current. Often times moving a coral over and over will stress it out more than current will. If you leave it in one of the lower flow areas of your tank it will adapt over time.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 7:45pm
go check your alkalinity and calcium.

My dad has a small colony of Duncan's and they are the first coral to show that alkalinity is low in the tank. When he or I dose some alkalinity, they open up within in hour.
BILLYBOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BILLYBOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 10:01pm
Wow my duncans are SSSSOOOOOO hardy, would be happy to trade you a few heads for anything with color.
BILLY BOB 916-5000
rbrinton2373 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbrinton2373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 11:35pm
This is my first tank so I only have small frags in it as it is so I dont have anything to trade.  However they were trying to open up a bit this afternoon.  I have tested the water several times and everything is perfect except my calcium is a bit high.  but talking from the LFS that is to be expected with the salt that I have used.  But I am finished with it and need to get some new for another water change that is due this weekend.
Ryan
Semper Fi
60 gal cube w/39 gal Sump\
MH + T5s
Matthew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 1:56pm
I have had them in high light, moderate flow, short skirts, heads were very small but split tons more (at one point I had 50 heads in about 3 inches).

Lower light moderate flow, heads tons bigger/longer with longer skirts.  
Does not split as often.

I like the higher alkalinity and calcium (and magnesium) salts.

Matthew
BDerron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDerron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2010 at 2:10pm
mine love moderate light and moderate flow also
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic