Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chemicals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chemicals
    Posted: June 23 2010 at 8:55pm
I was wondering what chemicals are a must for a reef, what do you dose?, how often?

Edited by Reefboy4life - June 23 2010 at 10:59pm
90 gallon mixed reef
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 9:21pm
The only things I would say are a "must" are Calcium, Magnesium, and a carbonate to raise alkalinity.

How much to dose, and how often to dose, depends alot on things like tank size, types of corals / how many corals you are keeping, and how often you do partial water changes.

In general, I think a good rule is that you shouldn't dose anything that you don't also have a test kit for (to measure the levels in your water).

So, you would also need test kits for Ca, Mg, and ALK / dKH.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
rbrinton2373 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbrinton2373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 9:51pm

about the test kits.  Are there certain types that are better than another?  i.e. the little paper strips vs. test tubes?  Or a particular brand that is more accurate than another? and how often should you test? every day, couple times a week, once a week, etc...?  And what are the most important things to test besides Alk, Ph, and salinity?

Ryan
Semper Fi
60 gal cube w/39 gal Sump\
MH + T5s
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 10:04pm
strip test are not that accuarate but are quick to find what you need. CA . Alk. Mg you need liquid as they required more accuarcy to know how to those correctly. Salifert test kits are probably the best. expensive and sort of difficult. boy do they get good results. API probably is a good inexpensive choice i used them and easy to use. i got the whole alk. C phosphate. nitrate test for 20 bucks

Edited by SGH360 - June 23 2010 at 10:14pm
fishoutawater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 10:31pm
alk supplement= baking soda, calcium supplement = prestone driveway heat. Is there a local place to pick up magnesium chloride?
Some day, when I grow up,...

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 10:33pm
I second the recommendation on the API Master kit.

The "ReefMaster" kit has alk / dKH, nitrate, phosphate and calcium test kits for around $24.

Any single Salifert kit costs about that much.

The only thing missing is a Magnesium kit (which API does not carry).

You might have to spring for the Salifert Mg kit.

Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 10:52pm
I have a 55 gallon reef with a lot of softies and a couple lps, and sps.
90 gallon mixed reef
rbrinton2373 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbrinton2373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 11:28pm
what about the frequeny of testing your water?
Ryan
Semper Fi
60 gal cube w/39 gal Sump\
MH + T5s
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 11:39pm
I would test once a day until you get your dosing regimen to the point that your numbers are stable.

Example:

If you test for Ca, and your Ca is low (say, 340 pmm when you want 400 ppm), then you would dose Ca and check the next day to see how much the dose raised your Ca level.

After a week or 2 you will be able to figure out approx. how much Ca to dose to get your level up to that 400 ppm mark, and then how frequently to redose in order to keep it there.

Once you get to that point, you can check your water maybe once a week just to make sure everything is still OK.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic