Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feeding too much?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feeding too much?
    Posted: June 24 2010 at 9:35am
Hi,

I was reading some posts this morning that people were stating they were feeding only every few days.

I have a 55g tank with the following fish:

- Two wild caught clowns w/bubbletip anemone
- Yellow tail damsel
- Foxface Rabbitfish
- Copperband butterfly
- Banner cardinal
- 4 green cromis
- 15 snails (3 of them huge turbo's)
- 10-15 crabs (10-12 hermit, 3-4 emerald)

I feed every day about 15-20 pellets and a chunk of frozen mysis about the size of half a dime.

My water chem is always fine, but do tend to have a cyanobacteria problem often.  But just in general, do you think thats too much feeding?

Thanks,
Chris
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2010 at 9:54am
The cyano problem is probably from over feeding, but if it is not out of control you may not want to make any changes.  Usually those people that feed a lot have to have better skimmer (i.e. skim more), do more water changes, or deal with algae/nitrate problems.

If your tank is doing fine then I wouldn't cut back.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2010 at 10:00am
I agree with jake.
Keep in mind it is nearly impossible to over feed your fish, but very easy to over feed your tank. Over feeding is usually just under filtering.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2010 at 10:03am
Yea I do water and filter changes often, 10-15% every 2 weeks.  I do it so often because I don't have a skimmer or sump.  
55g Bowfront Corner Reef
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 12:25pm
you could grow macro algae on your tank will help to lower nitrate levels. I do this on my nano reef usually i put them on the out sight . You can probably find a sump and the equipment needed for 100 bucks.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 2:13pm
Macro algae will take the place of cyano, but the advantage is that macro algae is easier to control (so it doesn't kill corals) and looks better.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Chris Scott Chris Scott wrote:

Yea I do water and filter changes often, 10-15% every 2 weeks.  I do it so often because I don't have a skimmer or sump.  

So there is a HOB (hang on back) filter? Cleaning/changing the filter can be useful, but...

Can we discuss the filtration a little more? Would you like to describe the filtration of this tank? We may be able to help you improve the filtration to reduce the Cyanobacteria and also reduce the need for biweekly water changes. I have run many tanks without skimmers and sumps and yet my water changes are only 10% every 1-3 months
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 5:26pm
I have a rena XP canister filter.  I change it every 3-4 weeks.  It has carbon in it and about 3 layers of physical filtration.  It's 55 g, and I probably only have about 40 lbs of rock and 30 lbs of sand (if I remember from when I bought it).  

I just bought another 40 lbs of sand that I plan to add into the tank to make a deeper sandbed.  I also now have 3 power heads for 2400gph of flow.

55g Bowfront Corner Reef
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic