Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

20 Gal Sump Plan Rev 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20 Gal Sump Plan Rev 2
    Posted: June 28 2010 at 10:36pm
So I am wanting to make a sump that will look good when you open up the cabinet, something to be proud of showing off LOL

Question is, do you think that this sump design will work?  The middle chamber is where the water will enter the sump from the display.  It then will travel to the second chamber (chamber on the right) where the Skimmer will be housed.  After that it will empty out into the refugium area.  Once it has passed through the refugium, it will then go to the third chamber (the one on the left) and push back up into the tank via a 500gph Mag 5

Edit: See new plans below

Edited by Ahanix - June 29 2010 at 12:15pm
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 2:49am
looks like a cool design!  Im just wondering if you have left yourself enough of a footprint for a skimmer, what skimmer are you planning on using?
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 3:08am
+1 and are you using a sock filter if so I would leave a gap at the bottom instead of the teeth at the top gravity will pull it through the sock . Instead of over flowing out the top of the sock
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 10:50am
I didn't think about the skimmer dimensions, so i'll have to cut down the size of the first chamber to leave 12"x10" in the second chamber.  I am going to pick up the Reef Octopus NWB-150 Skimmer, I think.... Not sure yet though
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 11:13am
Originally posted by kody72 kody72 wrote:

+1 and are you using a sock filter if so I would leave a gap at the bottom instead of the teeth at the top gravity will pull it through the sock . Instead of over flowing out the top of the sock

I decided that I wasn't going to run a sock.  I might make a little tray out of acrylic and eggcrate though to give me a small space to put some filter floss and other media in chamber 1 though
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 11:20am
i would still make it flow through the bottom and so your skimmer has a better chance of grabbing the waste before it hits the refuge
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 12:12pm
Here's revision 2, this uses space a lot better, puts the drain and skimmer in the same area, so it will pick up all the junk after it passes through the area that I will build for some filter floss.  This chamber will also contain the heater.

Front Chamber Refugium with Remote DSB

and then the 3rd Chamber with the Return Pump.

Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Ahanix Ahanix wrote:

Here's revision 2, this uses space a lot better, puts the drain and skimmer in the same area, so it will pick up all the junk after it passes through the area that I will build for some filter floss.  This chamber will also contain the heater.

Front Chamber Refugium with Remote DSB

and then the 3rd Chamber with the Return Pump, there is also a bubble trap in the 3rd chamber before it returns back into the tank

I also removed the teeth, figured that it would take more time than is worth it

CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 5:45pm
The teeth are pretty easy if you decide to do it. About 15 min with a router is all it takes.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 10:18pm
I like the revision man, now youll need to build me one too!  Smile
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 10:22pm
Looks good. I like my fuge looking nice too. In fact I look at it almost as much as my tank!
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
fishoutawater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 10:30pm

Why not just hang a 4" sock where your box for floss is? It has many times the filtering capability of floss, plus you can wash and reuse them for years.

Some day, when I grow up,...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic