Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how do I kill GSP?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how do I kill GSP?
    Posted: June 29 2010 at 6:50pm
My green star polyps are getting out of control!  I really like them but they are starting to choke out other corals.  What is a good way to kill a bit of them to hold them back?  I have injected them with vinegar through a hypodermic needle but that does not do much of anything.  Any thoughts or suggestions before I pull the rock out?
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 8:02pm
Joe's Juice or Aptatsia X - Kills on contact!
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 8:47pm
peroxide will kill them. they use a toothbrush to clean them off
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 9:13pm
So do peroxide in the tank?  Or pull the rock out?

150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 9:17pm
Thats odd my GSP wont even grow. You can trade for GSP rock with live rock. I hate seeing corals getting killed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 9:21pm
yeah the problem is the rock has some other corals on it I am trying to save.  I dont want to let the GSP kill them.  They have already started taking out some small areas and I am trying to stop it from going further.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 9:25pm
Pull the rock out and drip peroxide onto the coral, then rinse in fresh SW. NEVER add peroxide directly to your tank. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 9:27pm
I have some gsp rock you can have! free
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
philhender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philhender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 9:42pm
joe's juice was mentioned earlier, but I wonder if lemon juice injection will too? kinda like it does on aptaisia??
I asked the Lord for the blessing of Patience... he gave me 6 kids!

125g Reef / 55g Sump-Fuge
Haley'sfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haley'sfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 11:00pm
I tried lemon juice on some of mine for a while with a hypodermic needle with no success. I finally pulled the LR out, scraped it clean and put it back. Eventually I think I just tossed the LR. 
sublimer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sublimer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 10:19am
I would be interested in some GSP rock if you have some!
sublimer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sublimer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 10:20am
Originally posted by bugzme bugzme wrote:

I have some gsp rock you can have! free
I would love some gsp rock!
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 6:56pm
Try just scrubbing the areas you don't want it any more with stiff brisled  tooth brush real good, I sucessfully kill mine this way on accident, or try srapping if off with a razorblade and either give it away or sell it.
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2010 at 7:00am
Sometimes the best option with the coral you want to keep is to move it to a new, GSP free rock. Then as was mentioned, sell the GSP rock or at least set it out separated from other rock. This probably seems like an easy option to me, going back to the days when I was fragging for a living and selling everything that grew. Embarrassed
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
drivr08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drivr08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 11:53pm
how about taking tweezers and peeling off the gsp on that rock to desired quantity...then put it in your sump till someone comes to get it from you
loving life as a english teacher kids are what the world is made of
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic