Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not sure what this is

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not sure what this is
    Posted: July 05 2010 at 6:43pm
I am not sure what is going on with these they have always been open all day everyday and since yesterday they look like they do in the pic.

Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2010 at 6:46pm
My water params are:

Calcium 400
Alk 8dkh
Ph 8.0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate under 5

I am going to up my alk a bit I think do I need to up the cal as well?
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
sterling18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2010 at 6:48pm
I got to see your tank today, my wife and I like what you've done with it.  Very nice.

Maybe something in the tank bothered it.  I've noticed your sixline likes to zip in and out of your zoo colonies looking for yummies.

Edited by sterling18 - July 05 2010 at 6:50pm
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2010 at 6:53pm
Maybe that's it, he likes to be a pain. I hope the flasher is doing well.  Thanks:)
Jackie Stuver

sterling18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2010 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

Maybe that's it, he likes to be a pain. I hope the flasher is doing well.  Thanks:)

Spent an hour to acclimate him then introduced him to the tank with the light out.  An hour later I turned on the lights and he was playing well with the other clowns.  Your husband said your clown and sixline was picking on him or her.  Didn't know clowns would get territorial.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2010 at 7:05pm
Yea I don't know if it was because it was orange or what but it didn't like it!!
Jackie Stuver

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2010 at 11:04pm
Anybody else have any idea? I have had both this coral and the wrasse since the same time and it has never been like this.
Jackie Stuver

CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2010 at 11:12pm
It looks to me like they have some white spots on the stems. They could have zoanthid pox. 
 This is a great article with pics and treatment info.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2010 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by CapnMorgan CapnMorgan wrote:

It looks to me like they have some white spots on the stems. They could have zoanthid pox. 
 This is a great article with pics and treatment info.

That looks like what it might be, do I treat all the zoas in my tank or just the ones that look infected? Also can this be on button polyps as well or is it just a zoas thing? I am thinking some of my button polyps and other polyp ones look to have the same thing happening.
Jackie Stuver

arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 12:23am
Your Alk and pH are on the lower limit of the recommended ranges: alk 8-14dkH and pH 8.0 - 8.3. Are those values normal for your tank?
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 12:33am
I have had to add alk buffer to it to get it to go up, I just completely forgot to do it this week.
My PH is always at 8.0 should I add a buffer to get it up as well?
Jackie Stuver

The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 12:38am
By managing your alk, your pH will usually come into line on it's own.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 12:39am
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

That looks like what it might be, do I treat all the zoas in my tank or just the ones that look infected? Also can this be on button polyps as well or is it just a zoas thing? I am thinking some of my button polyps and other polyp ones look to have the same thing happening.

Treat only the polyps currently infected with the pox, paly's can get pox as well, though it is very uncommon
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 12:58am
Could the healthy ones be carries of the disease? if not i would frag them and quaratine the ones that arent. From the article i read i see that there is not know cure yet, just possibilties. Furan 2 well i buy it dont see another way hopefully it works. Dang wish the chicken pox cure would work on this

Edited by SGH360 - July 06 2010 at 1:01am
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 6:27pm
So I decided to see if the white stuff would come off as it didn't look exactly like the pox pics I looked through, I used my turkey baster and blew a few clouds of water around them, the white floated off so I am guessing it isn't pox and just debris problem is they are still closed up not all but most.
I did a water change last night to see if it might help out but didn't notice any change.
Checked params today:
Nitrite-0
Nitrate less than 5
Ammonia-0
calcium- 420
PH 8.0
phosphate less than 0.25
alk-10.08 dkh I am slowly raising this
salinity- 1.025
temp- 80.2

Edited by bstuver - July 08 2010 at 6:30pm
Jackie Stuver

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 7:04pm
you got any recent pics?
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 7:10pm
I will get some taken:)
Jackie Stuver

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 7:50pm

Jackie Stuver

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 8:04pm
They dont look like they did on the first pic. In fact i dont see a pox on the zoas. Nice tank BTW
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 8:13pm
Yea as I said I blew them off with the baster and no more white, however they still aren't all openingConfused

Thank youBig smile I am really enjoying it!!
Jackie Stuver

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic