Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flatworm Exit Experience

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flatworm Exit Experience
    Posted: July 06 2010 at 11:16am
I bought a few corals from an LFS that had flatworms.  I erroneously thought they would not become a nuisance...

I tried various "natural" ways to remove flatworms...Mainly different fish such as six line wrasses to eat them.  They just couldn't keep up and it wasn't long till I had TONS of flat worms.  I KNEW that killing even half of them would cause way too much of an impact.  Carbon and skimming will certainly eventually clean it out, but how long will that take?

I was unwilling to take ANY risk on killing my system.

Here is what I did (with my wife's help).  It was a fair amount of work, but I wanted to re-aquascape my tank anyway.  For smaller tanks, it won't be as much work.

Tools needed:
6 feet of 1/4 or 1/2 inch tubing
two 5-gallon buckets filled with fresh water...same temp as the tank.
1-2 clean filter socks (depending on size of the system).
One helper (Wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, husband, etc).

Step 1 - Vacuum
Using the tubing create a siphon from your display tank to your refugium.  Be sure to have it empty out through a filter sock.  I had my helper hold the bottom end of the tubing so it didn't come out of the filter sock or the refugium.  Then vacuum out as much of the flatworms as you can.  The filter sock will catch all the flat worms (and detritus).  Having it drain into your refugium will allow your water level to stay the same.  If the filter sock gets so "bad" that it can't keep up with the water flow, simply replace it with another.  As filter socks are fairly cheap, I just threw them away when done.

Step 2 - Freshwater Dip
Flat worms die in fresh water VERY quickly.  Coral and bacteria (live rock) can survive much longer.  Do a freshwater dip with the rocks that you can pull out.  Pull out one of your rocks (even if it has coral on it) and put it in bucket1 for 3-5 seconds.  Then shake it off gently in bucket1 and rinse it again in bucket2.  Finally put it back in your tank.  At this point the rock will be flatworm free.  Using your "helper" you can set up an "assembly line" for your rocks so you have one soaking in bucket1 while the other is being rinsed in bucket2 and placed back in the tank and a new rock is selected.  Basically, bucket1 kills the flatworms.  Bucket2 rinses the rock off so dead flatworms don't go back in your system.  Bucket1 will get "gross" fairly fast so you may need to dump the "yucky" water and refill with clean freshwater.  bucket2 may also get "gross", again just empty it and refill with clean freshwater.

Step 3 - Flatworm Exit
Most people are reluctant to put chemicals in their system.  I think flatworm exit is an exception.  At this point, there will still be some flat worms in your system.  You probably can't do a freshwater dip on all of your rocks.  Plus, you will have flatworms in your refugium and stuff.  Do a full dose of flatworm exit following the instructions.  You may have to do repeated doses of flatworm exit for a short while.  Now that you have them under control, ANYTIME you see a flat worm, DOSE freely.  For a short time, I am doing a dose of flatworm exit whenever I add new corals/rock.

Conclusion
A month or two later, I noticed just a few flatworms so I dosed again.  Overnight they were gone!.  Much easier to stay on top of it, then to let it get out of hand.  Not surprisingly, my system is much healthier.  My coral growth is noticeably improved.  My polyp extension is also noticeably improved.  My fish seem happier.  My wife is commenting daily on how healthy the tank is looking.  I think that cleaning out the flatworms also cleaned out other "junk" from the system and made it healthier as a whole.

Confession Time
I am a LAZY reef-keeper!
In the 7+ years that I've had my tank, I have not done ANY water changes.  I do NOT use a skimmer, I do not dose anything (rarely Calcium by hand), no UV, or anything else.  Since I don't dose anything, I don't test the water either.  I use a 5g bucket to add tap-water for top-off.  I did not even do any of those even when eradicating the flat worms.  Am I asking for troubles?  Maybe.  But realistically, what percentage of the hobbyists have the same setup for 7+ years without ever "starting over"?

Pictures?
I took a few pictures of my tank, but I am a terrible photographer.  But...you can see them at:http://picasaweb.google.com/summertop

Edited by Summertop - July 06 2010 at 11:55am
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Summertop Summertop wrote:

Confession Time
I am a LAZY reef-keeper!
In the 7+ years that I've had my tank, I have not done ANY water changes.  I do NOT use a skimmer, I do not dose anything (rarely Calcium by hand), no UV, or anything else.  Since I don't dose anything, I don't test the water either.  I use a 5g bucket to add tap-water for top-off.  I did not even do any of those even when eradicating the flat worms.  Am I asking for troubles?  Maybe.  But realistically, what percentage of the hobbyists have the same setup for 7+ years without ever "starting over"?

Pictures?
I took a few pictures of my tank, but I am a terrible photographer.  But...you can see them at: http://picasaweb.google.com/summertop

No water changes or skimmer for 7+ years??  That's incredible!  I'm assuming you do change your filter regularly? Smile

Also, I got a 404 error on the photo link...can anyone else view the pics?

Thanks,
Chris
55g Bowfront Corner Reef
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 11:58am
I think I fixed the link...Somehow a space got inserted at the end.

you can also try to copy/paste it into your browser.

I did skim early on, but got tired of messing/adjusting my "poor quality" skimmer.  It hasn't been used in years.  I do periodically change my filter sock. and once or twice a year I put a bag of activated carbon for a month or so.
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 2:31pm
I can see the link now.

Wow, I guess your biological filtration is in great equilibrium with your bio-load.  Good to know.

Thanks
55g Bowfront Corner Reef
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 4:20pm
Nice write up. I will be using your method if I ever get flatworms
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2010 at 8:57am
I agree, freshwater kills them fast.
I had forgotten about this until Shawn brought it up. Years ago, I helped a hobbyist friend rid his newly purchased tank of flatworms by just dipping the LR in freshwater like step #2 and starting over with new sand when we moved the tank to his house. 
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic