Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recent Problems (w/ pics)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2010 at 1:11pm
Hopefully its not this but this a direct from the website
Burrowing Worms :  While unable to obtain the actual organism that created the below problem, it is apparent due to the formation of calcified tubes that a worm species is most likely the cause.  As this pest species first infests a coral colony, it first builds its own structure on top of the corallite's walls, which block light and water flow to the underlying polyp.  The polyp then slowly dies over the course of weeks and months allowing these and other organisms to further colonize the coral skeleton substrate, effectively killing the coral colony little by little.

Formation of dead and soon to be dead areas on the coral colony.  Even in seemingly healthy areas of the colony, these organisms are already present as individual formations on top of the corallites.  In the most affected areas, the organism has burrowed through the walls of the corallites.

Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2010 at 1:55pm
I hope not but I will keep an eye out.  I have not seen anything on the coral though.  I thought of some sore of flatworm but I never saw anything on the coral.  Those guys sound nasty though.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic