Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Still getting to know corals..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Still getting to know corals..
    Posted: July 15 2010 at 11:26pm
Can someone ID this for me and give me tips on how and on what to attach. A mushroom was holdong this and a small rock togther that I bought the other day, kind of a two-fer.

I figure I'll try to attach it to a rock, but don't have much experiance. Will it attach itself if given time?
Thanks!!
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2010 at 2:50am
Looks like a favia to me... BTW your fish will be here bright and early tomorrow morning!
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2010 at 10:25am
I agree, it appears to be a favia. I would putty it to a rock. Try to make a smooth area of putt around it transitioning from the top edge of the coral to the rock all the way around it. This coral will encrust, and then build a stony base underneath, but if you do the putty it will be more attractive and encrust faster than if it has to grow over the sides before encrusting the rock.
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic