Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Test Kits

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BDerron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDerron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Test Kits
    Posted: July 17 2010 at 11:47pm
So general question. I have some api test kits for phosphate, nitrate and nitrite that i hate. it seems like they always read zero even when my tank is exploding with and algae bloom. So my question is are the salifert test kits easier to use and or do they give a more defined reading of what you actually have parameter wise? or is it just a more expensive test that my eyes still wont be able to see a color difference with?

i have used the salifert test kits for mag, alch and calcium but just havnt wanted to really spend the money on the others.
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2010 at 1:02am
Well, IMO you are probably getting the same readings you would with another brand of kit. I have found the API kits to be very close to the same, if not identical. I use them for calcium and alkalinity as well, and they read the same as my salifert. You may not have nitrates or nitrites, but phosphates are honestly hard to measure. The problem is that they are taken out of the water as quickly as the are produced...or so they say. I am no expert, but this is what I have been told by people that are experts. Phosphates are basically unmeasureable no matter what kit you use.
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2010 at 1:34am
The only reason you are getting low reading is due to the algae eating all of it up before you can test for it. Salifert will give you about the same results since its the algae eating up nitrates. The only way i found in my experience to measure nitrates during algae bloom is to turn of the lights for a few days to let the algae die off and test for nitrates and giving me more accurate results
BDerron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDerron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2010 at 1:50am
ahh good to know, thanks for the input.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2010 at 8:06am
So what these good hobbyists are saying is that your testing is giving you correct results.Thumbs Up

The growth in your tank is telling you what is happening.
A lot of algae growth says two main things. One, that there are not enough herbivores to eat the algae and two, that the biofiltration in the rock and sand may be inadequate.
How many snails are in this tank? What size is the tank? Are there any algae eating fish? How open is the sand? How much flow? Can we see a pic of the tank?

It's very unlikely that PO4(phosphate) is too high because algae eats that too.

There is no better way to clean the water than with Algae.Big smile There is no better way to clean up algae than with Herbivores. It's the cycle of life and it works perfectly.Clap

You are doing well with the current test kits. I rarely test for more than Alk, Ca and Mg. I never test Ammonia, Nitrite, or Nitrate because I know that my tanks are set up with good biofiltration and because I see coral polyp extension and growth. I have the LFS test for anything else (PO4, I, Sr) once a year, maybe.

What is the Alk level?

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 18 2010 at 8:21am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic