Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Iodine overwiew please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iodine overwiew please
    Posted: July 22 2010 at 8:05pm
I'm curious if anyone can give me an overview of iodine.  I know that somehow it helps many inverts, and that overdosing can cause "major problems" but I've never heard what problems exactly.  Any help is appreciated.
90G Mixed Reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2010 at 8:22am
What major problems have you heard about?
Are you experiencing problems that you fear may be due to your I dosing?
What are those problems?

I is a trace element in seawater. It is usually added to the tank through the food. It is also contained in salt mixes, so the typical monthly 10% water change replenishes I and other trace elements.
One of the first indicators, though not conclusive evidence, of a need for more I is that a large field of Xenia stops growing or even dies back.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2010 at 10:09am
I have read that iodine aids in the recovery of soft tissue. Like after cutting acans or any lps. But I have found that if any of my zoas or palys are not looking good I, add idoine and do an iodine dip on that coral and they always recover.

I have been thinking about what I read in the Emergency Essentials catalog, and they sell iodine tablets for humans to take in case of nuclear war. And it states that if you take the pill, it will help stop the absorbtion of toxic chemicals and toxic forms of iodine. Maybe in a way, it does the same to tissue on a coral. Just stops things that can cause it to go ill or get infected.

Just .02, I could be way off base there
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2010 at 5:00pm
I dose iodine daily (which is the recommended route). Since I started I've noticed my corals (especially soft ones) general do much better. They grow faster, open bigger etc. If you overdose they will shut and eventually die, so it is important to test you I levels regularly if you decide to start dosing. Also be sure to used Iodide, not regular Iodine. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2010 at 6:01pm
Thanks for the help guys.  I'm not having any problems that i think are related to Iodine.  I don't dose right now, and won't do so unless I actually test and determine the level is low enough, to make any difference.  Mostly I just want to understand better what it is and does.
90G Mixed Reef
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2010 at 6:05pm
I forgot to add it is important to inverts when molting. It helps soften the old shell so they can escape it. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic